Transit Police Officer
Patrols the total transit system, including facilities, within UTA service areas.
Pay Rate: $18.939 – $29.662 per hour, based on experience. This is a career ladder position.
Closing Date: Friday August 7, 2020 at 5:59 p.m..
- Provides a visible peace officer presence within those jurisdictions.
- Inspects passengers in the systems for proof of fare and provides assistance to transit patrons as necessary while always maintaining an active public safety presence.
- Monitors public behavior for violations of UTA ordinances and Utah law without direct supervision.
- Exercises considerable discretion responding to specific situations in order to protect patrons and the public. Maintains general law and order, suppresses criminal activity, makes arrests, completes case reports, and issues both civil and criminal citations.
- Testifies in court as needed and coordinates public safety activities with local law enforcement agencies. Assesses potential risk to public safety and recommends opportunities for loss prevention.
- May be assigned by UTA Public Safety management to work in varied functional areas; these could include serving as a trainer in a limited area such as defensive tactics, OC spray, Taser, firearms, or other assignments as needed and required.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Utah P.O.S.T. certified as a Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) as described within the limits of state statutes, or is currently certifiable as a Utah LEO.
- Prior police or customer service experience preferred, but not required.
- Demonstrates superior interpersonal communication skills and be able to exercise discretion to assess and take appropriate steps to protect patrons and/or employees against potentially threatening situations. Officers will be required to carry a firearm and other duty equipment.
- Have a valid Utah driver's license, with no more than 4 moving violations in the past 3 years. Cannot have any convictions of driving under the influence of alcohol, any drug, or the combined influence of any alcohol or any drug within the last 5 years.
- Have no convictions for a civil or criminal offense involving dishonesty, unlawful sexual conduct, physical violence to include domestic violence, DUI, or unlawful sale or possession of a controlled substance within the past 5 years.
- Employment will be contingent on passing a psychological test, a polygraph test, FTA drug and alcohol screening, physical exam, and a comprehensive background investigation. UTA management reserves the right to re-test for suitability of employment.
- This job requires regular and predictable attendance.
An equivalent combination of relevant education and work experience. (UTA reserves the right to determine the equivalencies of education and experience.)