The officers of the Newton Police Department are forward-thinking, trustworthy, and dedicated to serving our community with integrity and respect. When you join us, you will use your unique skills and character to do important and meaningful work critical to the success of our organization and our community.
We provide competitive salary, outstanding benefits, $1,000 hiring bonus, and up to $2,000 reimbursement of moving expenses. We would love to have you join us. Apply today.
Under the supervision of the Sergeant and Corporal, the Police Officer performs duties in the protection of life and property and the preservation of order in the City of Newton. The employee in this position enforces all federal, State and local laws in accordance with departmental rules and regulations. Patrol duties include enforcing traffic laws, investigation of crimes and accidents, and providing public assistance. This employee will be required to exercise initiative and discretion when faced with emergency conditions. The Police Officer will be required to work rotating shifts, holidays, weekends and special events as assigned. This work involves an element of personal danger.
$41,496.00 – $56,150.64 Annually
• Enforces all federal, state, and local laws and ordinances;
• Patrols streets of business district and residential neighborhoods;
• Investigates suspicious conditions and complaints;
• Searches for, collects and identifies evidence found at crime scenes;
• Arrests individuals who violate laws and ordinances;
• Appears in court as the arresting officer or to give evidence;
• Investigates and intervenes in domestic disputes;
• Directs traffic and issues citations for traffic law violations;
• Investigates accidents;
• Operates radio transmittal equipment and communicates with dispatchers;
• Answers citizen complaints and takes necessary corrective action;
• Attends classes on current supreme court decisions affecting searches, seizures, arrests and other related matters;
• Attend firearm and equipment training;
• Assists other law enforcement agencies;
• Works at a desk preparing reports;
• Gives advice on laws, ordinances, and general information to the public;
• May give talks to schools and local organizations;
• May deliver emergency or death messages;
• May handle drug related cases;
• May serve as a Field Training Officer or K-9 Unit Officer.
Listed below are the Police Officer minimum qualifications:
• You must be 21 years of age at time of appointment.
• Must be a US citizen.
• You must have a High School diploma or GED.
• Cannot have used any kind of illegal drug or abused any prescription drugs/medication within the previous 5 years from date of application.
• Successfully pass a polygraph test, medical and psychological examination.
• Successfully pass a background investigation.
• Arrests and/or convictions for domestic violence is automatic disqualification.
• Numerous misdemeanor convictions, or a felony conviction is automatic disqualification.