As a sworn member of the University Police Department, the Police Officer conducts general police, security, and watchman-style foot and mobile patrols of property used, owned, or occupied in whole or in part by Carnegie Mellon University. Patrols will be required in in all weather conditions and temperatures. Protects life and property and preserves the public peace. Insures the safety and security of the campus, the assigned sector, and its occupants/users by enforcing all Federal, state, and local laws, and university policies. Investigates and makes written reports concerning suspicious activity, persons, and unsafe conditions immediately. Provides general assistance to security guards and traffic monitors on request; and general information to university personnel and visitors.
• High School graduate, GED, or equivalent required. A Bachelor’s degree or semester credit equivalent preferred.
• Successful completion of basic recruit training at a certified police academy within the continental United States required
• One year of full-time (or two years part-time) police experience strongly preferred; Prior security or police experience in a college or university environment is strongly preferred.
• Prior security or police training preferred, Knowledge of and ability to properly use standard police radio Ten Codes preferred
• Valid PA driver's license required
• Must be at least 21 years of age
• Act 120 at a MPOETC certified academy required, Act 235, Act 501, CPR, AED, First Responder, and EMT certification/commission preferred; CDL license preferred
• Knowledge of and familiarity with the City of Pittsburgh, particularly the Oakland and Shadyside neighborhoods preferred
• Good working knowledge of and an ability to utilize Microsoft Word, CAD-RMS, and related law enforcement hardware and software
• Physical Mobility:
o Ability to traverse campus grounds and climb stairs during building checks
o Ability to lock and unlock doors, operate/use all standard police equipment, radios, and firearms
o Must be able to pass fitness for duty assessment and pre-employment medical exa