Performs intermediate protective service work involving a variety of general or support duty police assignments; does related work as required. Work is performed under the regular supervision of a Police Sergeant. Much of the work is performed under emergency conditions and frequently involves considerable personal hazard.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Enforces all city and state codes, ordinances, laws and regulations, in order to protect life and property, prevent crime, and promote security.
- On an assigned shift, operates a patrol vehicle or walks to observe for violations of traffic laws, suspicious activities or persons, and disturbances of law and order; responds to radio dispatches, answers calls and complaints.
- Issues citations for traffic violations, provides police escorts, directs traffic, and investigates traffic crashes.
- Performs security checks of residential, commercial, and public properties, reports unsafe conditions existing in streets or other public facilities.
- Obtains and serves warrants and makes arrests, maintains warrant and arrest records, performs prisoner security functions, assists in the preparation of trial cases, testifies in court as necessary.
- Conducts or assists with criminal investigations or surveillance; interviews complainants, victims and witnesses; performs property and evidence duties; interrogates suspects, takes photographs and fingerprints, and performs other crime scene related tasks.
- Establishes and maintains contact with reliable and confidential sources of information; conducts background investigations; maintains liaison with intelligence divisions of other agencies and works jointly on mutual problems; gathers intelligence on suspects.
- Maintains detailed and accurate logs of evidence; completes requests for laboratory analysis of evidence; maintains chain of custody.
- Initiates involuntary examinations for mental illness and provides transportation to appropriate receiving facility; conducts death notifications.
Education and Experience:
A high school diploma or equivalent.
A driver’s license valid in the State of Florida. Must meet and maintain all department and State training and education requirements and pass a departmental physical abilities test.