The Gardner Police Department is seeking qualified applicants to join us in providing exceptional police service to our nearly 25,000 residents. The police department is scheduled to move into a new state-of-the-art facility in June 2019.
Officers perform general police duties consisting of patrol work on an assigned shift, conducting preliminary investigations, and other miscellaneous public safety related duties.
• Enforces the law and ordinances of the City and all other pertinent laws;
• Responds to all Emergency and Non-Emergency calls for service;
• Responsible for the collection of evidence to assist or aid in the investigation or prosecution of a suspect(s) in criminal cases;
• Patrols an assigned area during a specific period in motorized police equipment and patrols downtown area on foot;
• Checks doors, windows and examines premises of unoccupied building or residences in order to detect any suspicious conditions;
• Investigates suspicious conditions and complaints and makes arrests of persons who violate laws and ordinances;
• Accompanies prisoners to headquarters, jail or court and appears in court as arresting officer;
• Operates radar in controlling the speed of traffic;
• Directs traffic arrests or gives violation tickets to those who break traffic laws, investigates traffic accidents;
• Maintains records, prepares reports and performs other clerical and administrative duties;
• Assists in the maintenance of related vehicles and equipment;
• Responds to calls for service;
• Presents police related programs to various civic groups;
• Captures and impounds unlicensed, stray and uncontrolled animals;
• Assists related departments and agencies as required;
• Answers criminal complaints and takes necessary corrective action;
• Gives information on laws and ordinances and general information to the public;
• Assists in the investigation of criminal activity;
• Performs related duties as deemed necessary or as required.
Requirements include a high school diploma; the ability to successfully complete training at a certified law enforcement academy or center; possession of a valid driver’s license; at least 21 years of age at the time of appointment. Selection guidelines include; formal application; rating of education and experience; written exam; oral interview; polygraph; background check; and physical and psychological evaluation. Application Deadline: Open Until Filled.