Closing Date: 2/25/2024.
The City of Jefferson is currently accepting applications for the position of Police Officerfor the Jefferson City Police Department. We are looking for the best and brightest career-oriented individuals. This position is responsible for the protection of life and property, prevention of crime, crime investigation, apprehension of criminals, and the enforcement of state laws and municipal ordinances.
- Works with an assigned field training officer to learn field activities, tactics and strategic planning, performs assigned responsibilities on and individual or team basis.
- Promptly responds to calls for service, investigates automobile accidents, and criminal misdemeanor and felony offenses; preforms crime scene analysis, identifies and collects evidence.
- Randomly patrols designated zone of the city in a patrol car or on foot to deter and detect criminal activity; enforces state law and city ordinance; takes suspect or offender into custody and delivers them to appropriate confinement location; reports on deficient lights, signs, road surfaces or other driving areas utilized by the public; assists motorists; establishes traffic control and police protection.
- Police officers in regular specialized or rotational assignments will perform law enforcement activities such as evidence identification, collection and control, juvenile law enforcement, traffic unit, community policing, D.A.R.E., detective, investigations, or school resource officer work.
- Maintains and prepares written reports in an accurate, comprehensive, timely and legible manner as necessary to comply with police procedures and facilitate subsequent prosecution; determines existence of probable cause, identifies and takes suspects and offenders into physical custody; locates and interviews victims, witnesses, and interrogates suspects; follows up on investigations and continues with assigned investigation until it leads to a logical conclusion.
- Works with other law enforcement officers in teamwork and emergency situations to maintain a safe and secure environment; provides protection and transportation to appropriate care facilities for persons with mental/psychiatric problems; performs first aid, helps injured/sick persons and assists ambulance and medical personnel as needed; provides security and crowd control to maintain order at various social events.
- Develops and presents safety programs and crime prevention presentations to the community; provides an open line of communication with school partners; maintains knowledge of threat assessment for school related incidents; acts in a capacity of mentor, counselor and educator; and serves the community through pro-active policing including self-initiated activities and development of crime prevention strategies.
- Requires a high school diploma or equivalent;
- Must be at least 21 years of age;
- Possess a valid Missouri Driver’s License with a good driving record;
- No felony convictions nor convictions of crimes of moral indecency;
- Possess or be able to secure a Missouri State License as a Commissioned Law Enforcement Officer within six months of hire.