Performs a variety of responsible law enforcement work to protect life and property in the Town.
$43,384.00 – $68,254.00 Annually
• Patrols streets in a police car, on foot, by bicycle or other appropriate means; checks doors and windows; examines premises of unoccupied residences or buildings; detects unusual conditions, may maintain surveillance and observation for stolen cars, missing persons, or suspects; reports dangerous or defective streets, sidewalks, traffic lights, or other hazardous conditions.
• Responds to calls for assistance, complaints, suspicious activity, domestic disputes, loud and disruptive behavior, and others needs; completes calls by determining true nature of the situation and taking whatever legal or persuasive action is warranted .
• Investigates traffic accidents; issues traffic citations; directs traffic and participates in other emergency operation activities.
• Performs investigations of accidents and possible crimes through observation, questioning witnesses, and gathering physical evidence; performs investigative tasks; arrests and processes criminal suspects.
• Advises the public on laws and local ordinances; testifies in court; executes search warrants; serves papers as needed.
• Regulates and directs vehicular traffic at busy times or when traffic signal malfunctions or accidents require; maintains order at public gatherings .
• Performs funeral and bank escorts.
• Operates a radio to receive instructions and information from or to report information to telecommunications.
• Prepares detailed records and reports of activities.
• Uses a variety of software programs to prepare incident reports, perform research, check driver's licenses and vehicle registrations, check for outstanding warrants and related research.
• Performs special projects as assigned by the department such as helping with background investigations of applicants, helping install or maintain security of technology, and helping coordinate in¬ service training.
• Considerable knowledge of state and federal laws, local ordinances and policies of the police department, especially relating to arrest, search and seizure, and traffic control.
• Knowledge of the application of information technology to the work.
• Working knowledge of law enforcement principles, practices, methods and equipment. Some knowledge of scientific criminal detection and identification methods.
• Skill in the use of firearms and other police equipment and in the application of self-defense tactics.
• Skill in collaborative conflict resolution.
• Ability to communicate clearly over radio and other technology . Ability to operate a computer terminal.
• Ability to act with sound judgment in routine and emergency situations. Ability to present effective court testimony.
• Ability to prepare clear and concise activity reports.
• Ability to build and maintain cooperative and effective relations with the citizens, coworkers, other law enforcement agencies, and Town officials.