College Police Officer
$36.07 – $45.16 Hourly
6/30/2024 11:59 PM Pacific
Under general supervision, patrols assigned campus of San Bernardino Community College District to protect the life and property of District personnel, students, visitors; participates in and conducts a variety of criminal investigations; and ensures enforcement of the California Penal Code, Vehicle Code, Health and Safety Code and all other applicable statuses, codes, and District rules and policies on or near campus and other properties owned and operated by the District.
The following duties are typical for this classification.
- Patrols on and off campus sites, including but not limited to building, classrooms, restrooms, and parking lots by foot, bike, cart, or police vehicle in order to maintain security and order; inspects, identifies, documents, and follows up on unusual conditions, potential hazards and security risks; reports presence of unauthorized persons on grounds or in District buildings; acts upon observations made.
- Determines actions to be taken in various situations including those involving disruptive and/or violent persons carries and uses lethal and non-lethal weapons as necessary and appropriate; initiates arrests, detentions, or consensual encounters with persons on grounds or in District buildings; acts upon observations made.
- Investigates and conducts follow-up on crime cases and other criminal activity; interviews and takes appropriate action to assists crime victims; interviews witnesses; collects physical evidence; photographs crime scenes and evidence; makes and processes arrests when appropriate; prepares reports and submits to other agencies as necessary; works and builds cases to submit to the District Attorney’s office.
- Records and documents incidents in patrol logs; prepares reports related to observed violations including use of-force reports, arrest reports, traffic reports, criminal citations, student misconduct, notices to appear, and property evidence reports.
- Apprehends and/or identifies crime suspects; arrests, cites, and books crime suspects per California Penal Code, Vehicle Code, Health and Safety Code and all other applicable statutes and codes; questions and advises suspects of constitutional rights.
- Responds to calls for service; provides security escorts for students, staff or visitors as needed; assists persons with vehicles in parking lots.
- Patrols the District parking lots and streets; checks for vehicle permits and improper parking; conducts traffic stops; issues citations for non-compliance with parking regulations; ensures the safe movement of vehicles in the parking areas and streets around the District facilities; ensures parking lots and roadway are clearly marked.
- Provides assistance to college personnel; renders first aid in emergency situations.
- Provides crowd control for large gatherings such as registration and athletic events; may direct pedestrian or vehicular traffic.
- Conducts building security checks; secures campus buildings and/or facilities as necessary.
Education/Training: High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED).
Experience: None required.
Preferred Education: Completion of at least sixty (60) college level semester units; or an Associates Bachelors, or an advanced degree from an accredited college or university.
License or Certificate:
- Must possess a valid Certificate of Completion from a California P.O.S.T. certified Basic Police Academy attained prior to permanent hire date with the district; or possess a valid California P.O.S.T. Basic Certificate; or have successfully completed a certified California P.O.S.T. recertification program.
- Possession of a valid California Class “C” driver’s license.
- Possession of a current CPR and First Aid certificates prior to employment start date.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or a Permanent Resident Alien who is eligible for and has applied for a citizenship prior to testing.
- Must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age at the time of application.