Deputy Sheriff Trainee
Salary: $63,976.85 – $90,244.34 Annually.
Deputy Sheriff Trainee is an entry-level classification. Under close supervision, incumbents typically report to a Sheriff’s Sergeant and attend a Basic Peace Officer Standard Training (POST) academy to learn the principles, methods, and techniques employed by the journey level Deputy Sheriff class. Positions in this class are distinguished from Deputy Sheriff in that the Deputy Sheriff Trainee is a non-sworn class which has no peace officer powers. Deputy Sheriff Trainees are eligible for promotion to Deputy Sheriff upon successful completion of a Basic POST academy. Incumbents who do not successfully complete academy training may be released from employment.
- Prevents crime, apprehend suspects, control traffic, and enforce criminal and civil laws and regulations.
- Conducts preliminary criminal and civil investigations.
- Serves and administers various civil and criminal documents.
- Effects custody and insures safe storage of held property/evidence.
- Prepares incident, traffic and daily activity reports.
- Knowledge of: The English language; basic arithmetic concepts typical of that derived from basic coursework in these subjects at the high school level.
- Ability to: Comprehend and retain factual information pertaining to policies, rules, regulations, and laws and accurately apply what is learned; analyze situations and/or data and draw meaningful conclusions leading to a reasonable course of action; effectively communicate both verbally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; meet the physical requirements of a Basic Peace Officer Standard Training (P.O.S.T.) academy.
- License: Possession of a valid California Driver’s License.
- Citizenship: U.S. Citizenship must be obtained by time of appointment.
- Education: Graduation from high school, or attainment of a satisfactory score on a G.E.D. test, or possession of a Certificate of Proficiency issued by the California State Board of Education.
- Age: Applicants must be 20 years 9 months of age at the start of the academy.
- Vision: Applicants who wear glasses or hard contact lenses must have uncorrected vision of no worse than 20/40 correctable to 20/20. For soft contact lenses being worn for up to one year or more correctable to 20/20, there are no uncorrected requirements. Please note: Applicant must have normal peripheral fields and normal color vision.
- Hearing: Applicants must not have hearing loss greater than 25dB in frequencies of 500 to 6,000 in either ear. Hearing aids are not permitted to meet these requirements.