The Background Investigation Division of the Aurora Police Department is looking for Background Investigators to conduct background investigations of applicants to determine suitability of employment as a Police Officer or civilian employee of the Aurora Police Department; and performs other and related work as required.
This is a Temporary, working approximately 40 hrs.per week, based on the needs of the department. There may be slow or busy periods during the year based on hiring needs. This position is eligible for health benefits, accrued PTO and holiday pay.
4/25/2019 12:30 PM Mountain
• Conducts thorough and complete background investigations according to department policies, applicable laws, and procedural requirements
• Reviews applications/personal history statements (and other documents, as required to determine suitability) for completeness and directs applicants to provide additional information if needed
• Obtains proper information release documents
• Contacts and conducts investigative interviews of applicants, applicant personal references and applicant employment references
• Develops and pursues lines of inquiry
• Gathers, verifies, and analyzes personal, professional, credit/financial, and educational documents
• Contacts other agencies, governments, and professional organizations to obtain and verify information
• Researches, obtains, and reviews data from various databases and information systems to verify information and/or check for inconsistencies related to applicant information
• Prepares letters, reports and written summary of findings
• Analyzes investigation results and draws logical and objective conclusions
• Confers with hiring managers
• Makes recommendations regarding suitability for employment
• Responds to requests for information
• Assists outside agencies when appropriately requested to provide background information regarding pervious applicant background investigation
• Answers applicant questions
• Refers requests or questions to managers, as appropriate
• Attends training sessions, seminars and conferences
• Trains and advises others as required
• May be required to travel to interview sources and verify information
• May perform additional duties as needed
• High School diploma or equivalent.
• Two years performing employment applicant investigative work in a government or contract investigative agency
• Four year's experience as a full-time paid peace officer conducting investigations
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
• Retired Law Enforcement