The Monterey Police Department is currently accepting applications for Police Officer Recruit, Academy Graduate, Academy Attendee and Lateral Officer. Located in an idyllic setting on the Pacific coast, the City of Monterey’s historic character, natural beauty, and unique attractions have enabled it to become a quality residential community as well as one of the nation’s premier tourist destinations. Committed to integrity, professionalism and loyalty, the Monterey Police Department strives to be a model organization. The Department’s highest priority is to ensure that the community remains a safe haven, allowing residents and visitors alike to enjoy a high quality of life.
Police Officer Recruit Description
The Monterey Police Department is currently accepting applications for Police Officer Recruits. The Police Officer Recruit classification is considered a full-time, unrepresented, temporary classification to be used while attending the POST basic Academy and will be paid an hourly rate of $43.60. This position is a non-sworn, entry-level training position. Employees in this classification are temporary, at-will employees, and do not have Police Officer status while attending the Academy. Employees do not get promoted as a sworn Police Officer until they complete the Academy. Upon successful completion of the Academy and appointment to the position, candidates will receive the yearly salary of $104,400.00 and full benefits of a regular full-time, sworn Police Officer with the City of Monterey.
Police Officer: Lateral, Academy Graduate & Academy Attendee Decription
To qualify as a Lateral, the candidate must meet one of the following criteria:
- Currently employed or formerly employed within the last three years as a law enforcement officer in a California law enforcement agency and possess a California P.O.S.T. Basic Certificate.
- Currently employed or formerly employed within the last three years as a law enforcement officer in a law enforcement agency outside of California and passed the California P.O.S.T Basic Course Waiver examination.
- Formerly employed as a law enforcement officer over three years ago in a California law enforcement agency and have completed the California P.O.S.T. Requalification process.
To qualify as an Academy Graduate the candidate must meet the following criteria:
- Completion of a California Basic P.O.S.T. Academy within past three (3) years of date of application.
To qualify as an Academy Attendee the candidate must meet the following criteria:
- Current enrollment of a California Basic P.O.S.T. Academy.