Open until filled
The City of Motley is accepting applications to fill a position for a full-time police officer. The police officer serves to dutifully protect life and property through the responsible performance of a diverse array of patrol and police functions and shall enforce federal, state, and local laws.
- Operates police vehicles during routine patrol, call response, and emergency situations. Conducts foot patrols as appropriate for active patrolling.
- Identifies potential physical and safety hazards if observed during patrols; inspects hazard if on city-owned property and reports to public works or administrative staff or appropriate business/property owner; and investigates any observed or reported public nuisances.
- Monitors any observed severe storm or weather activity during shift and notifies 911 Dispatch of significant conditions.
- Responds to routine and urgent calls for service including: all types of alarms, disturbances and other potentially illegal behaviors/activities; reports of missing/found/endangered persons; and welfare & safety checks. Takes appropriate action(s) including arrests/detentions, referrals to social services, and mental health transports.
- Responds to emergencies: provides—commensurate with training & experience—emergency medical service at accident and crime scenes or assists fire/rescue/ambulance personnel as requested; establishes a safety/security perimeter if possible; and controls crowd/onlookers and directs traffic.
- Responds to requests from public: provides information to residents and tourists; provides assistance to disabled motorists; and provides other assistance according to department policy
- Applicants must have an Associates Degree in law enforcement.
- A valid MN Class D driver’s license with EVOC card/certificate, MN POST Board license or eligible to be licensed by time of appointment, certified as a First Responder, and must pass a preemployment physical, psychological evaluation, and background check.
- Prior experience in law enforcement is desirable, but not mandatory.
- This position will include days, nights, weekends, and holidays.