The principal function of an employee in this class is to perform a variety of law enforcement duties in the enforcement of all Federal, State, and local laws and ordinances to ensure the preservation of public peace, prevention of crimes, and the protection of life and property. The work is performed under the supervision and direction of a Command Officer, but considerable leeway is granted for the exercise of independent judgment and initiative. The nature of the work performed requires that an employee in this class establish and maintain effective working relationships with the Police Chief, other Command Officers and City personnel, elected and appointed officials, representatives of Federal, State, County and municipal agencies, media representatives and the general public. The principal duties of this class are performed in a variety of emergency and non-emergency situations which may involve exposure to potential personal danger. An employee in this class begins as a Probationary Police Officer and advances to Confirmed Police Officer upon satisfactory completion of the Probationary period and approval of the Chief of Police.
$58,118.40 – $68,437.56 Annually
10/7/2019 11:59 PM Mountain
In order to be considered for a position with the City of Bozeman Police Department as a Probationary Police Officer, applicants must meet the minimum following qualifications:
• Be a citizen of the United States;
• Be at least 18 years of age;
• Be fingerprinted and a search made of the local, state, and national fingerprint files to disclose any criminal record;
• Must not have been convicted of a crime for which the person could have been imprisoned in a federal or state penitentiary;
• Be of good moral character, and conduct personal life above reproach as determined by a thorough background investigation;
• Be a high school graduate or possess a G.E.D. certificate;
• Possess or be eligible to obtain a Montana driver's license at time of hiring;
• Be of sound physical and mental health;
• Must successfully pass the written examination and Montana Physical Abilities Test conducted by the Bozeman Police Department. A video of the Montana Physical Abilities Test can be found at http://youtu.be/ObQcu2BJ5KU.
• Must successfully pass oral interviews and additional testing to demonstrate the possession of communication skills, temperament, motivation, and other characteristics necessary to the accomplishment of the duties and functions of a peace officer; and
• Must be certified or eligible to be certifiable by the Montana Public Safety Officer Standards and Training Advisory Council (POST) as a full-time or part-time peace officer.
Employment offers are conditional based upon satisfactory responses to job-related medical, hearing, vision, psychological examinations, an extensive background investigation, and possibly a drug test.
• High School Diploma or GED; and
• Some previous law enforcement experience preferred; or
• Any combination of experience and training which provides the equivalent scope of knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the work.
• High School Diploma or GED; and
• Must have a current/valid transferable POST law enforcement basic certificate at the time of hire; and
• Must have completed a law enforcement officer basic course; and
• Must have served at least one full year with a law enforcement agency; and
• Must have successfully completed a one-year probationary period with their prior law enforcement employer.