Police Officer Trainee
Salary: $53,724.00 – $71,988.00 Annually.
Under direct supervision performs a wide variety of support and paraprofessional police services duties in addition to learning Police Officer knowledge and skills; assists and observes Police Officers and civilian personnel; performs related work as assigned. This is a sub-entry level service class in which incumbents learn and gain additional qualifications in preparation for a career as a police officer. The trainee attends a POST certified police academy to develop knowledge and skills required for performance as a sworn officer.
- Equivalent to the completion of the 12th grade.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Must possess satisfactory hearing capabilities, visual acuity and be able to meet physical, psychological and background standards.
- Must be willing to work evening, night, weekend and holiday shifts.
- Must be able to maintain firearms qualification.
- Must be 20 ½ years of age at time of application.
- Basic law enforcement terminology and concepts; techniques for dealing with people of all socio-economic levels under hostile and emergency situations; safety practices and precautions pertaining to the work.
- Observe and accurately recall places, names, descriptive characteristics and facts of incidents; remain calm and take appropriate action in tense situations; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; read, interpret and apply complex laws, procedures and policies; make rapid, sound independent judgments within legal and procedural guidelines; prepare clear and concise reports, records and other written materials; understand and follow oral and written directions; learn the principles, practices, procedures, laws and ordinances, terminology and operation of equipment used in law enforcement and crime prevention and investigation.