Police Patrol Officer
The City of Springfield is seeking individuals to participate in the Police Patrol Officer Examination process, which will begin in June 2023.
Duties of a sworn officer include, but are not limited to,
- routine patrol, preliminary investigations, suspect apprehension and arrest, and initial processing of evidence and property.
Eligibility requirements for Police Patrol Officer are
- U.S. citizenship; high school graduate or GED;
- vision corrected 20/20, uncorrected 20/40, normal or mild color blindness or mild anomalous trichromat (red-green deficiency);
- ability to meet and comply with the department’s tattoo policy; no felony convictions or certain misdemeanors;
- the ability to pass all required phases of the examination;
- a valid driver’s license at time of hire;
- valid FOID card within twelve (12) months of hire.
- The minimum age to take the written examination is 21 (or 20 with 2 years of law enforcement studies at an accredited college or university), and the maximum age is 34 unless the individual meets one of the following exemptions under the Illinois Compiled State Statute: 1) In municipalities of more than 5,000 but not more than 200,000 inhabitants, no person who has attained his or her 35th birthday shall be eligible to take an examination for a position as a fireman or a policeman unless the person has had previous employment status as a policeman or fireman in the regularly constituted police or fire department of the municipality, except as provided in this Section (65 ILCS 5/Article 10-1-7). “The municipality” is defined as the City of Springfield; or 2) Active duty service in the military (65 ILCS 5/Article 10-1-12).
FINAL DATE TO APPLY: JUNE 11, 2023 AT 11:00 P.M. CST
Rate of Pay 1 *PROBATIONARY 1st YEAR $55,751.27 ANNUALLY,
Rate of Pay 2 *PROBATIONARY 2nd YEAR $63,715.74 ANNUALLY
Rate of Pay 3 *PATROL OFFICER $79,644.68 ANNUALLY *PROBATIONARY 3rd YEAR $71,680.21 ANNUALLY