Police Officer- Exceptional Entry
$6,017.17 – $7,769.70 Monthly
This is an Entry Level Police Officer position in the Police Officer job series that differs from a typical Entry level candidate by the requirement of being BLEA (Basic Law Enforcement Academy Certified) certified and/or having some FTO training from another Law Enforcement agency.
Performs the functions of law enforcement necessary to maintain public peace, protect life and property, prevent crime, apprehend violators of the law and otherwise assure proper enforcement of the laws and ordinances of the City of Mukilteo and the State of Washington. Commissioned officers must be able to work varying shift schedules and are subject to recall and call backs as needed.
The Mission of the Department is to provide professional, high-quality police services; to ensure a safe, secure community through citizen involvement; and to promote the career development of its members. The responsibilities associated with this mission include enforcement of City Ordinances, State and Federal Laws, generally assisting citizens in time of need and preservation of the peace. In joining the Department, Officers shall adopt this mission and are expected to carry out these responsibilities diligently and courteously, taking pride in themselves and the services they provide.
Examples of Work Performed (* denotes an Essential Job Function)
• Contributes to the preservation of peace and protection of life and property by patrolling an assigned area primarily by car, and occasionally on foot, bicycle and motorcycle. Responds to a wide variety of calls and complaints involving automobile accidents, burglaries, theft, robberies, domestic disturbances, assaults and other misdemeanors and felonies.(*)
• Contributes to the apprehension of criminal suspects by conducting preliminary and follow-up investigations to include contacting and interviewing witnesses and victims of a crime; photographing a crime scene; dusting for latent fingerprints; and properly collecting other evidence. The position prepares criminal investigation reports and testifies in court.(*)
• Contributes to the smooth and safe movement of traffic on City streets by performing traffic and parking enforcement functions and conducting accident investigations. This would include observing traffic movement, operating radar speed detection units, directing traffic, and issuing traffic citations.(*)
• Contributes to the enforcement of City laws and ordinances by apprehending violators. The subduing and arresting of violators could range from simply advising the suspect that he/she is under arrest to a physical confrontation involving the use of force up to and including the use of a firearm.(*)
• Must be a United States citizen or a legally permanent resident
• Must be at least 21 years of age
• Must possess at least a high school diploma or G.E.D.
• Must possess a current and valid driver’s license at time of hire and be able to obtain a Washington State driver’s license within 30 days
• Be able to read and write the English language at a skill level commensurate with general law enforcement duties and responsibilities.
• Pass job related performance aptitude and physical ability tests.
• Successfully pass psychological and truth detection examinations
• Satisfactorily pass examinations by licensed healthcare providers to ensure that no physical, emotional, sensory, or mental conditions exist which could adversely affect performance of duties, including a drug screen
• Driving history free of conduct or record of violations that show a disregard for the safe and effective operation of motor vehicles.
• Criminal record free of any convictions which relate to fitness to perform the job of Police Officer.
• No felony convictions.
• Other requirements identified by the Mukilteo Civil Service Commission Rules and Regulations.
License or Certification:
• Washington State Driver License and driving record acceptable to the City
• Must have successfully completed, or is actively attending, the Washington State Basic Law Enforcement Academy
• Those who have successfully completed a basic law enforcement academy must still hold a current and valid peace officer certificate
• Successfully pass examinations as required.