SALARY: $62,224.50 – $74,178.00 Annually
CLOSING DATE: 7/1/2022 11:59 PM Central
Join the Sun Prairie Police Department, where we build relationships and solve problems through our Core Values of: Exceptional Service & Problem Solving (Competence), Professionalism (Character), and Employee Fulfillment (Leadership).
No residency or college experience required upon hire! Start: $31.91/hr. Sun Prairie has a lateral entry program where experienced officers may be eligible for higher starting pay (up to $38.04/hour) and accelerated vacation. The applicant testing process includes an online written exam and remote oral interviews to create an eligibility list. Must be at least 21 years of age; possess valid DL; and successfully complete a background check. The Deadline to apply is July 1, 2022. The City of Sun Prairie is committed to advancing equity, honoring our diverse identity, and creating an inclusive culture.
Announcement of Open Process
Written Exam (completed prior to 07/06)
May 26th – July 6th
Future Officer Sessions
July 1st @ 11:59 pm
Initial Oral Interviews
July 15th – July 21st
Police Commission certifies list
Chief’s Interviews & Personal History Questionnaire due
August 11th – August 13th
August 15th – September 2nd
Physical Readiness Testing
August 15th – September 2nd
Police Commission meeting (Conditional offer approval)
Medical and Psychological Testing
September 19th – September 23rd
Notification of pre-employment conditions met
Anticipated Start Date
Essential Job Functions
- Patrols all assigned areas for the prevention of crime and the enforcement of State Statutes and City Ordinances. Responds to requests for service in both emergency and non-emergency situations and takes appropriate action.
- Responds to ambulance calls, provides first responder emergency service until the City’s Emergency Medical Technicians arrive.
- Takes action to prevent criminal acts by checking residential, commercial and industrial structures and investigates suspicions conditions, activities or persons.
- Responds to the scene of traffic accidents and investigates the accident. Determines if any traffic laws have been violated and writes a detailed report identifying the circumstances involved in the accidents.
- Directs and controls traffic and enforces the established traffic laws.
- Provides enforcement of the criminal law: identifies and arrests violators. Upon arrest, the Police Officer books the violator on charges and prepares a variety of Police reports to be used in the criminal prosecution.
- Testifies in court.
- Conducts the initial crime investigation at the scene of criminal activity. Secures the scene, identifies and collects evidence and interviews witnesses.
- May be assigned other duties, as needed, for certain periods of time. May be assigned to field training of new officers, provide animal control services, answers the telephone, dispatches information and provides information to the public on all emergency and non-emergency Police issues.
- Routinely utilize in-car computers, as well as desk-top computers, running a variety of software applications.
- Insures that all police equipment and police vehicles are properly maintained.
- Prepares various written reports/forms and dictates reports for transcription.
- May provide information and/or references to other law enforcement agencies when required.
REQUIREMENTS OF WORK:
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with good driving record.
- Ability to learn modern Police methods and techniques, preserving evidence and what constitutes admissible evidence.
- Good knowledge of the streets and locations within the City and good knowledge of laws and ordinances is preferred.
- Considerable skill in the use and care of firearms.
- Good skill in observing situations analytically and objectively and recording them clearly and completely.
- Considerable skill in reacting quickly and calmly during emergencies; skill in communicating clearly and concisely both orally and in writing; working skill in executing duties firmly, tactfully, courteously, and impartially; considerable skill in exercising good judgment in evaluating situations and making decisions.
- Must have the ability to safely lift 100 pounds from ground to waist level (the weight of one end of an average stretcher/individual combination).
- Must possess the physical ability and strength necessary to perform the job safely and effectively and must complete general strength and flexibility testing.
- Must have the strength and dexterity to be able to safely and effectively operate a firearm.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT: http://www.cityofsunprairie.com
City of Sun Prairie is an Equal Opportunity Employer