Salary: $20.82 per hour.
Open until filled
This is general police work involving the protection of life and property, enforcement of laws and investigation of crimes. An employee in this class is responsible, on a regular shift basis, for enforcing all statutes, laws, ordinances and regulations for which the police department is responsible; for protecting life and property and for performing police related assignments. Work is performed according to established departmental policies and procedures. Work contains a substantial element of personal risk, and an employee must be able to exercise sound judgment independently in emergency situations. Work requires tactful, conscientious and efficient performance of duties under little direct supervision. Assignment and general instructions are received from supervising officer who reviews work methods and results through reports; personal inspection and discussion.
- Works on rotating shifts performing security patrols, traffic control, investigation and first aid at accidents,
detection, investigation and arrest of persons involved in crimes and misconduct.
- Works an assigned shift using own judgment in deciding course of action being expected to handle
difficult and emergency situations without assistance.
- Maintains normal availability by radio or telephone for consultation on major emergencies or precedent.
- Carries out duties in conformance with Federal, State, County, and City laws and ordinances.
- Patrols City streets, parks, commercial and residential areas to preserve the peace and enforce the law, control vehicular traffic, prevent or detect and investigate misconduct involving misdemeanors, felonies and other law violations and to otherwise serve and protect.
- Responds to emergency radio calls and investigates accidents, robberies, civil disturbances, domestic disputes, fights, drunkenness, missing children, prowlers, abuse of drugs, etc. Takes appropriate law
- Must be 21 years or older at the time of employment;
- Must possess or be able to obtain by the time of hire, a valid State driver’s license;
- Felony convictions and disqualifying criminal histories within the past seven years are not allowed;
- U.S. citizen;
- Must be able to read and write the English language;
- Must be of good moral character and of temperate and industrious habits.