6/30/2023 at 11:59 PM Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Performs various duties in law enforcement and provides services to protect the lives and property of the citizens of the City of Atlantic Beach including patrolling, investigating crimes and enforcing traffic laws. Ensures all laws are enforced in an efficient, effective and professional manner. Work is performed under general supervision and performance is reviewed through conferences, reports submitted, and results obtained.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Patrol assigned area of the City on foot, bicycle, motorcycle, horseback or in police vehicle to control traffic, prevent crime or disturbance of peace; assure that all laws are enforced by checking homes and businesses for any signs of criminal activity such as broken windows and unlocked doors; maintain radio contact with headquarters and supervisor via two-way radio; note suspicious persons and establishments and report unusual activity to supervisor.
- Receive and respond to any 911, emergency, non-emergency, compliant and service related calls from the public regarding burglaries, domestic violence, or any other situation needing assistance from police authorities; write reports on calls answered indicating the nature of the call and any findings at the scene.
- Attempt to arbitrate disputes; interview complainants, witnesses and /or informants to obtain factual information relevant to the incident; arrest any suspects found in the commission of crimes; advise suspects of their legal rights; warn and/or arrest persons in violation of the law; may be required to use force in the apprehension of suspects; transport suspects to pre-trial detention facility or mental hospitals as ordered by the court.
- Complete field incident, arrest, booking and related police reports in accordance with departmental policy and State statutes; testify in court as needed.
- May assume command in emergency situations and determine tactics/strategies that directly affect the safety and security of lives and property.
- Prepare evidence for issuance of warrants; serve warrants; advise suspects of their rights; ensure proper recording, storage, maintenance, and accountability of police property and evidence by property type, classification, and warehousing requirements; notify supervisor of discrepancies immediately.
- Conduct routine follow-up investigations of assigned cases; conduct stakeouts, surveillances, and searches of persons and property to obtain weapons, illegal drugs, stolen property and other evidence; seize contraband and stolen property.
- Respond to motor vehicle accidents in designated area or assist in other areas as needed; assist EMTs, firefighters, and other emergency personnel; complete traffic crash reports by questioning involved parties and any witnesses, gathering all pertinent information; call wreckers if necessary; provide emotional support to victims at the scene; direct traffic as necessary to prevent further crashes; ensure clean-up of accident scenes; reopen road when accident scene has been cleared.
Education and Experience
High School Diploma or equivalent.
Must currently have Law Enforcement certification acceptable to the State of Florida and be eligible to complete Florida training and certification within 6 months of hire.
Valid Driver’s License and a satisfactory Motor Vehicle Record (MVR).
Must possess the State of Florida 911 Public Safety Telecommunicators Certification or be able to obtain within 6 months of hire.