Salary: $21.39 – $26.91 Hourly.
Closing Date: 2/29/2024.
Part-time position of Police Cadet provides support services to Patrol, Investigations, Administration, Crime Prevention and Animal Control within the Police Department. This position works a varied schedule 30 or more hours per week including day, evening, weekend and holiday hours. It is a two-year maximum position.
The Police Cadet is a uniformed apprentice-type position assisting in various community service-oriented activities and police officer support services. This position will provide learning opportunities and inter-departmental mentorship with the goal of being promoted to a police officer position at the conclusion of the position. Tuition assistance to complete a degree and become POST Eligible will be provided.
- Enforce applicable ordinances and statutes pertaining to animals, animal control, parking, and selected health and nuisance ordinances.
- Perform detention duties, including booking, searching, controlling and releasing prisoners.
- Provide traffic control or perimeter security as assigned.
- Safely operate assigned police department vehicles and assist in the servicing and maintenance of the department automotive fleet and selected equipment.
- Assist in the recovery and inventorying of lost, abandoned and/or confiscated property.
- Participate in learning activities.
- Prepare and submit accurate and thorough reports and other paperwork required by various job activities, and other duties as assigned.
- Assist police officers, support services and investigations with any additional operational duties.
- Not engage in any conduct that would bar the Cadet from becoming licensed as a Minnesota peace officer or cause the Cadet to be disqualified under our background investigation standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or G.E.D. equivalent.
- Must be enrolled at time of hire and successfully complete the required educational program and necessary testing required to be licensed as a Minnesota peace officer by the conclusion of the position.
- Must immediately start full time college attendance upon hire and maintain a 2.00 GPA (“C” average) or better. The college scholarship will only pay for college expenses incurred after the date of hire.
- Must be physically, medically, emotionally, and psychologically fit for full duty as determined by the City’s occupational physician and police psychologist. Cadets must be able to safely perform all the tasks and responsibilities of the position and be fit and suitable for promotion to police officer.
- Must possess the desire to become a police officer and work as a police officer in Edina.
- Must have a valid MN Driver’s License.
- Prior experience as a police explorer, police reserve, or police intern.
- Fluent in a second language to include sign language.
- Demonstrate the ability to positively enhance understanding/interactions between diverse groups of people.