The Police Chief performs highly responsible and complex administrative work in planning, directing and controlling all police and humane activities.
- Plan, organize and direct all employees and activities of the Police Department in the enforcement of laws and ordinances, the prevention of crime, the investigation of traffic matters and criminal cases and the protection of life and property.
- Demonstrate initiative, exercise wide discretion and generally function independently regarding technical police and law enforcement procedures and practices.
- Formulate and enforce departmental rules and regulations, work methods and procedures; develop training, programs and procedures to meet new situations to improve existing operations and efectiveness.
- Review all personnel assignments within the department, as well as the activities and reports of officers; comply with and counsel staff on departmental policies, procedures and practices and enforce disciplinary measures when necessary.
- Prepare annual departmental budget estimates and recommendations and control the expenditure of all departmental funds; supervise the preparation of applications for and administer all state and federally assisted projects.
- Coordinate law enforcement activities with other City Departments, events and activities; act as a liaison with other local, state, federal agencies.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice or related field with specialized training in Criminology, Police Science, Personnel Management, Public or Business Administration; completion of training at a certified State or National law enforcement training academy.
- Extensive successful experience as a law enforcement official in a law enforcement agency involving positions of progressive responsability and demonstrated ability.
- Must have experience in Emergency Management, Budgeting and Forescasting.
- Must have strong and effective oral and written communication skills.
- Texas Class C Driver’s license, Advanced Certification from the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education.