Police Officer Trainee
The City of Riverside Police Department is currently recruiting for highly motivated individuals for the position of Police Officer Trainee. This is a continuous recruitment.** Applications will be reviewed and those best meeting the needs of the department will be invited to the next step in the selection process.
Invited candidates will be required to attend and pass a Written Exam, a Physical Agility Test (PAT), a review of their Personal History Statement (PHS), and an Oral Exam (interview). For more information regarding the application and selection process, click here (Download PDF reader).
Candidates successful in the selection process will complete a P.O.S.T. approved basic academy. Upon graduation from the basic police academy, applicants will be promoted to the position of Police Officer*. This is an exciting and challenging opportunity for those wanting to grow and advance in their careers and make a difference in their life and the life of others.
*Start salary upon promotion to Police Officer: $77,868 Annually.
The Riverside Police Department is dedicated to selecting only those individuals who meet the highest of professional standards with a commitment to serving all members of their community with sensitivity, empathy, and impartiality.
Police Officer Trainees under direct supervision, receive training in law enforcement related work that will lead to promotion to/or candidacy for a Police Officer position; display an awareness of and empathy towards all persons who they may come in contact with, and perform related duties as required.
How to Prepare for the Written Test
Applicants take the POST Entry-Level Law Enforcement Test Battery (PELLETB) exam. The PELLETB is a 2-hour test which includes 105 questions. Learn how to prepare for the PELLETB Police Exam.
- Receive training at a POST approved Basic Police Academy in criminal and traffic investigation, laws of arrest, search and seizure, collection and preservation of evidence, report writing, first aide, arrest techniques, and use of firearms.
- Participate in the taking of comprehensive subject matter examinations, physical conditioning activities, and other law enforcement related training.
Education: Equivalent to completion of twelfth grade.
Necessary Special Requirements
• Possession of a valid class "C" California Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
• Minimum age of 21 (At time of graduation from academy).
• Height and weight in proportion to age.
• Must be a citizen of the United States OR permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship.