Police Officer Lateral
Salary: $6,847.93 – $7,769.70 Monthly.
Performs the functions of law enforcement necessary to maintain public peace, protect life and property, prevent crime, apprehend violators of the law and otherwise assure proper enforcement of the laws and ordinances of the City of Mukilteo and the State of Washington.
- Contributes to the preservation of peace and protection of life and property by patrolling an assigned area primarily by car, and occasionally on foot, bicycle and motorcycle. Responds to a wide variety of calls and complaints involving automobile accidents, burglaries, theft, robberies, domestic disturbances, assaults and other misdemeanors and felonies.
- Contributes to the apprehension of criminal suspects by conducting preliminary and follow-up investigations, This would involve contacting and interviewing witnesses and victims of a crime; photographing a crime scene; dusting for latent fingerprints; and collecting other evidence and preserving the chain of evidence. The position prepares criminal investigation reports and testifies in court.
- Contributes to the smooth and safe movement of traffic on City streets by performing traffic and parking enforcement functions. This would include observing traffic movement, operating radar speed detection units, directing traffic, and issuing traffic citations.
- Contributes to understanding the cause of traffic accidents by conducting accident investigations. Attempts to determine the cause (driver error or mechanical failure) of the accident.
- Contributes to the enforcement of City laws and ordinances by apprehending violators. The subduing and arresting of violators could range from simply advising the suspect that he/she is under arrest to a physical confrontation involving the use of force up to and including the use of a firearm. Once the suspect is in custody, a complete booking procedure will be followed.
- Contributes to the prevention of crime by giving talks; maintaining a high degree of visibility. This involves knowing the layout of City streets; extensive knowledge of federal, state, and municipal law; patrolling key problem areas, and knowing the routines of the City and its citizens in order to identify unusual or abnormal activities.
- Contributes to a favorable image of the Department.
- Performs various other duties as assigned, including the transportation of prisoners to county jails, and serving misdemeanor and felony warrants for arrest.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or a lawfully permanent resident.
- At least 21 years old at time of application.
- Possess a current and valid driver’s license and when hired, obtain a State of Washington driver’s license within 30 days, with a driving record acceptable to the City.
- Be able to read and write the English language at a skill level commensurate with general law enforcement duties and responsibilities.
- Possess a minimum of a high school diploma or G.E.D. equivalency.
- Pass job related performance aptitude and physical ability tests.
- Basic Certification by the Washington Criminal Justice Training Commission and Washington State Peace Officer Certification or graduate of another state’s municipal or regional Basic Law Enforcement training academy or equivalent as accepted by the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission and certification as a State Peace Officer.
- Candidates who are certified as a full-time, commissioned law enforcement officer in a state other than Washington will be required to attain certification as a peace officer by the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission within one year of hire.
- Have been active in civilian law enforcement in the previous 24 months.
- Have completed a law enforcement agency probationary period.
- Successful accomplishment of oral, psychological, and truth detection examinations.
- Satisfactorily pass examinations by licensed healthcare providers to ensure that no physical, emotional, sensory, or mental conditions exist which could adversely affect performance of duties, including a drug screen.
- Driving history free of conduct or record of violations that show a disregard for the safe and effective operation of motor vehicles.
- Criminal record free of any convictions which relate to fitness to perform the job of Police Officer.
- No felony convictions.
- Other requirements identified by the Mukilteo Civil Service Commission Rules and Regulations.