The Greenbelt Police Department is now hiring for the position of Police Officer.
• Patrols a designated area of the City by radio equipped car, bicycle or on foot, to
prevent, discover, and deter the commission of crime, to enforce criminal law, to
direct traffic, and to enforce motor vehicle operation and parking regulations;
• Responds to calls and complaints involving fire, automobile accidents, domestic
and neighborhood disturbances, assaults, robberies, and other misdemeanors and
• Writes detailed reports on police-related activities;
• Interviews persons with complaints and makes proper disposition or directs them
to the proper authorities;
• Secures crime scenes, administers first aid, arbitrates disputes, conducts
preliminary and follow-up investigations, gathers evidence, obtains witness
statements, apprehends suspects, makes arrests, and transports offenders;
• Gives advice and general information to inquiries from the public;
• Serves as a witness in court in connection with arrests and investigations;
• Attends periodic training classes in police methods, first aid, firearms and related
• Keeps informed and aware of persons and places suspected of illegal activity
and/or potential for problems within an assigned area;
• Enters or retrieves data from a computer terminal, PC or other keyboard device;
• Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times,
streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality
seamless customer service.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• The United States and Maryland Constitutions, Federal, State and City criminal
and traffic laws and ordinances, related court decisions, Department policies,
General Orders and Operations Orders.
• General social problems and cultural diversity of citizenry.
• Modern police methods, practices and procedures.
• The geography of the City, community service organizations, location of facilities
• First aid principles and practices.
• Communicate in the English language by phone, police radio system, or in person
in a group or one-to-one setting.
• Exercise judgment and make decisions as to appropriate action under pressure in
accordance with rules, regulations and policies.
• Work cooperatively and courteously with all segments of the public.
• Use and properly care for firearms and related police emergency equipment.
• Recognize and control sources of personal stress in order to perform class
• Apply first aid principles and practices.
• Observe and monitor people's behavior or objects to determine compliance with
laws, codes, and regulations, and recall details accurately.
• Produce written documents in the English language with clearly organized
thoughts using proper sentence construction, punctuation and grammar.
• Travel across rough, uneven or rocky surfaces.
• Comprehend and make references from material written in the English language
and learn job-related material through observation, structured lecture, and oral
instruction. This learning takes place in an on-the-job training or classroom
• Maintain moral standards and integrity.
• Maintain personal appearance and equipment to set example.
• Minimum Age 21
• U.S. Citizen
• H.S. Diploma or GED
• Vision correctable to 20/20
• Valid driver’s license
• Drug screen & background check with written exam and physical agility test at a later date for PO Candidates.