Communications Dispatcher (Lateral)
***THIS RECRUITMENT IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED, AND MAY CLOSE AT ANY TIME.
**Salary Range: $107,786 to $155,856
(Lower range reflected entry-level step includes holiday in lieu pay; Top step salary includes holiday in lieu pay, night differential, and full longevity)
The Milpitas Police Department is committed to protecting lives and property by working with our community and providing professional and responsive police services. Our Communications Center serves as the Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) for accessing police, fire, and medical services within the City of Milpitas and is staffed 24-hours a day, 365 days a year, providing the highest quality of service to a population of over 80,000. Working with us is an opportunity to join a tight-knit group of professionals dedicated to public safety.
The Milpitas Police Department seeks committed and compassionate candidates with strong multi-tasking skills to join an amazing team. You will be at the heart of our operations, orchestrating the movement of resources and working with a diverse team that includes dispatchers and dispatcher supervisors.
Located at the southern end of San Francisco Bay, Milpitas is a progressive community that is an integral part of Silicon Valley. As a full-service city of 440 full-time employees with water utility, sewer utility, police and fire services, Milpitas serves a diverse population of nearly 80,000.
Milpitas is the eighth-fastest growing city in the United States according to the US Census, and the second fastest in California. The homeownership rate is close to 70%, and the Milpitas housing market remains relatively affordable in Santa Clara County. Milpitas is often called the “Crossroads of Silicon Valley” with most of its 13.63 square miles of land situated between two major freeways (I-880 and I-680), Route 237, and a County expressway.
The City Government
Incorporated in 1954, the City of Milpitas is a bustling general-law city supervised by a council-manager form of government. Milpitas is a full-service city that includes Police, Fire, and a water utility and sewer utility. The Council makes planning and policy decisions for residents, and oversees the City’s $253.2 million budget. Issues currently challenging the City include development, quality of life, and traffic.
We encourage you to check us out at: https://www.milpitas.gov/
Examples of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Receive emergency and non-emergency calls from the public requesting police, fire, or other emergency service. Determine the nature and location of the incident, determine priority, and dispatch units as necessary and in accordance with established procedures.
- Maintain contact with all units on assignment; maintain accurate status and location of police field units and fire units.
- Prioritize and coordinate emergency calls and relay information and assistance requests involving other law enforcement agencies.
- Enter, update, and retrieve information from various databases relating to wanted persons, stolen property, vehicle registration, stolen vehicles and other information.
- Quickly evaluate emergency situations and develop logical working solutions.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Education: Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
ALL of the following should be attached to your submission for consideration:
- A completed online application
- Copy of California P.O.S.T. Public Safety Dispatcher Basic Certificate
Must be certified to type at rate of 35 Net Words per Minute by the time of hire.
Only those candidates who are currently working for a law enforcement agency will be considered.
Applications will be competitively screened based on the minimum qualifications of this position. Candidates that meet the minimum qualifications will be invited to participate in the in-person oral examination process.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Milpitas will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the Human Resources Department.
The City of Milpitas is an Equal Opportunity Employer.