Police Officer I
This position is responsible for protecting life and property by patrolling the campus to prevent and discover crimes; enforcing traffic and other campus rules and regulations; performing preliminary investigations of crimes and accidents; and ensuring security of university personnel, students, and facilities. Reports to the Sergeant.
Essential Job Functions
1. Patrols assigned areas to check building security, assist and back-up student building security personnel, and check for and remedy hazardous or potential criminal situations.
2. Enforces vehicle operation and parking laws.
3. Directs traffic.
4. Answers calls involving fires, accidents, and various misdemeanors and felonies.
5. Makes arrests and issues citations.
6. Gathers preliminary information as responding officer on criminal calls, prepares relevant reports to pass the information gathered on to the assigned investigator, and assists investigator in case preparation as required.
7. Maintains surveillance on criminal suspects and unauthorized persons on campus.
8. Escorts bank deposits in accordance with established university policies.
9. Escorts prisoners and serves warrants.
10. Completes reports of arrests, accidents, interviews, and evidence property received.
11. Attends training sessions.
12. Acts as trainer of new personnel; assists in case preparation as required.
13. Testifies in court.
14. May provide services including personal escorts, vehicle jump starts and lockouts, and mobilizing elevators.
15. May be assigned to work in the dispatch office and operate the teletype, police computer, dispatch radio, and related equipment.
16. Receives complaints and requests for information from university personnel and the public and resolves or refers them to appropriate officials.
High school diploma or equivalent is required. Must meet all other minimum standards for appointment as established by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) under Article (23aa) Vernon’s Texas Civil Statutes.
Required Experience and Training
Completion of a TCOLE approved Police Academy Training Program and TCOLE State Licensing Exam is required. Possession of an appropriate and valid driver’s license is required at the time of appointment.