We are currently taking applications now for two different academies:
- No Experience – For those without law enforcement experience, our full academy is scheduled to begin in late May, 2023. Starting salary as of May, 2022 is $56,462
- Lateral – for those who are already working in law enforcement, we will be offering an accelerated academy scheduled to begin at the end of November, 2022. Starting salary as of May, 2022 is $62,782.
Laterals/Accelerated Academy – The Madison Police Department is currently recruiting for an “accelerated” academy exclusively for veteran police officers (i.e., officers with three or more years of continuous and full-time law enforcement experience in patrol).
As a veteran police officer you would attend our accelerated Academy, (taught in-house by MPD Training Staff, non-residential, Monday-Friday, 8a-4p, with full pay and benefits provided) following the academy you would participate in a condensed field training program before moving seamlessly to a position in Patrol Services.
Please visit our website at: https://www.cityofmadison.com/police/jointeam/ to learn more about our hiring process and to download an application.
- Fully funded pension – the Wisconsin Retirement System ranks #8 in the country and #25 in the world
- Qualified immunity state, Wisconsin recognizes the qualified immunity standard for law enforcement officers
- Our accelerated academy will prepare you to take the State of Wisconsin reciprocity exam
- Education incentive pay
- Tuition Reimbursement program
- City funded annual uniform allowance
- 16.5 vacations days a year to start
- Voluntary overtime opportunities are available after the completion of field training
- Rebound Program – Whether injured on or off duty, they will facilitate getting you a medical appointment within 24-48 hours, or into a specialist within 72 hours of diagnosis. This program extends to your immediate family as well.
- Our most recent Union Contact can be found here: https://www.cityofmadison.com/human-resources/documents/contracts/MPPOA-2018.pdf