Criminal Justice Internships
There are a wide variety of law enforcement and criminal justice internships available through local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies. Many are designed for college students studying criminal justice or law enforcement. Colleges are often a source for arranging internships. Three steps to take in locating an internship include:
- Check with your college to find out if they work with internship programs
- View the listings of internships contained on our directory
- Contact any agency that is of interest to you and ask if they have internships
What are the benefits of an internship?
The selection process for an internship is competitive. Therefore, being selected is an accomplishment. It is an opportunity to get work experience with an actual law enforcement agency. Also, the skills and knowledge which you will develop can be a beneficial attribute when competing for criminal justice job openings. Lastly, it shows a true commitment to a career in law enforcement.
What types of internships are available?
The type of internship will be dependant upon the type of agency. If the agency does a significant amount of criminal intelligence, than most likely interns with that agency will also be involved with criminal intelligence. Interns will not carry firearms, make arrests, or be involved in potentially dangerous situations. Interns generally work in support roles for the law enforcement mission.
What if my internship is in another city?
Generally, travel expenses, housing and meals are the responsibility of the intern. There may be situations where the host agency provides some type of assistance. However, absent of knowing that, the applicant should plan on covering all costs associated with the internship.
Featured Internship Programs
St. Louis County Police Department Internship Program
Choosing where to intern is an important decision for career building. Aside from completing your academic requirement, you should be able to maximize your internship to develop the skills in the field you want to pursue. Interning will help you understand the realities of your field of interest and determine if this is the right path for you.
San Diego County Sheriff’s Department Latent Print Development Internship Program
The internship program which has been around for over 15 years and has great success in helping interns getting employment with law enforcement agencies with the crime scene work they are pursuing. Internships are not only beneficial to the student, but also prove valuable to the hiring agencies. In today’s competitive workforce, finding a job without experience can be a real challenge and internship is a good way to boost employability.
San Diego County Sheriff’s Department Firearms Unit Internship Program
Professionals with hard science degrees such as physics and chemistry are needed to collect, preserve and analyze samples of physical evidence significant to criminal investigations. To succeed in this highly competitive profession, students take advantage of internships or volunteer positions by gaining the real world experience on scientific investigative skills.
Normal Police Department Student Internship Program
We are privileged enough to get more information from Lieutenant M. Paul Smith on the types of internship and the types of work and experiences an internship will entail at the Normal Police Department to help provide direction on jump starting to completing your internship.
Fresno Police Department Volunteer Program
The Fresno Police Department places a strong value to community partnerships by offering variety of volunteer opportunities. Each volunteer program has its own membership and training requirements, different areas of responsibility and respective coordinators.
List of Internship Programs
Federal Law Enforcement Agencies
- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
- Bureau of Prisons
- Central Intelligence Agency
- CIA National Clandestine Service
- Department of Justice
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Honors Internship Program
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Federal Bureau of Prisons
- Federal Law Enforcement Training Center
- United States Treasury Agencies
State Law Enforcement Agencies
- Delaware State Police
- Illinois State Police – IL
- New York State Police
- North Carolina State Highway Patrol Internship Program
- University of California Irvine Police Department
Law Enforcement Test Preparation
Most law enforcement agencies require candidates to pass a qualification exam. JobTestPrep offers custom made PrepPacks™ to help you prepare for your upcoming exam.
Start practicing for your Law enforcement test here!
These guides will help you pass the exam and outperform your competition.
- Chandler Police Department – AZ
- Concord Police Department – CA
- Hollywood Police Department – CA
- Long Beach Police Department – CA
- Los Angeles Police Department – CA
- Sacramento Police Department – CA
- San Diego Police Department – CA
- San Francisco Police Department – CA
- Santa Clara Police Department – CA
- Boulder Police Department – CO
- Fort Collins Police Department – CO
- Hamden Police Department – CT
- Delaware State Police – DE
- Hollywood Police Department – FL
- Miami-Dade Police Department – FL
- Marietta Police Department – GA
- Warner Robins Police Department – GA
- Idaho State Police – ID
- Chicago Crime Commission – IL
- Decatur Police Department – IL
- Peoria Police Department – IL
- Carmel Police Department – IN
- Indianapolis Police Department – IN
- Ames Police Department – IA
- Baltimore County Police Department – MD
- Montgomery County Department of Police – MD
- Fall River Police Department – MA
- North Reading Police Department – MA
- Portland Police Department – MA
- Minneapolis Police Department – MN
- St. Louis Police Department – MO
- Lincoln Police Department – NE
- Omaha Police Department – NE
- Mahwah Police Department – NJ
- Rochester Police Department – NY
- Greensboro Police Department – NC
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department – NC
- Greensboro Police Department – NC
- Statesville Police Department – NC
- Portland Police Bureau – OR
- Westerly Police Department – RI
- Rapid City Police Department – SD
- Clarksville Police Department – TN
- Austin Police Department -TX
- Houston Police Department – TX
- San Antonio Park Police – TX
- Salt Lake City Police Department – UT
- Alexandria Police Department – VA
- Fairfax County Police Department – VA
- James City County Police Department – VA
- Lakewood Police Department – WA
- Washington, DC
- George Washington University Police Department – Washington, D.C.
- Metropolitan Police Department – DC
- Oshkosh Police Department – WI