Police Officer Requirements – Wyoming
Wyoming Peace Officers Standards and Training Commission
POST Rules: Chapter 2
MINIMUM STANDARDS FOR EMPLOYMENT AS PEACE OFFICERS, DETENTION OFFICERS, AND DISPATCHERS.
Section 1. General Provisions Peace Officers and Detention Officers
- Every applicant for employment as a peace officer or detention officer within the State of Wyoming shall satisfy the following requirements:
- Be a United States citizen;
- Be an adult;
- Submit to fingerprinting and a search of local, state, and National fingerprint files to determine whether the applicant has a criminal record (copies of responses shall be sent to P.O.S.T.);
- Hold a high school diploma or equivalent achievement (proof shall be sent to P.O.S.T.);
- Be of good moral character. The hiring agency shall complete a background investigation;
- Be free of any physical, emotional or mental conditions which might adversely affect the applicant’s performance as a peace officer and/or detention officer. Physical condition shall be evaluated by a person licensed to practice medicine. Emotional and mental conditions shall be evaluated by a licensed psychologist or psychiatrist; and
- Successfully pass an oral interview by the hiring agency.
- Every applicant who is appointed as a peace officer or detention officer in or for the State of Wyoming shall submit to the Commission an Initial Employment Form or Re-entry Form with fifteen (15) days of the appointment. If the applicant meets the minimum employment standards, the Commission shall issue a temporary certification within fifteen (15) days of receiving the Initial Employment Form or Re-entry Form.
- A background investigation, which includes the following, shall be completed by the hiring agency before an applicant who is not currently certified in Wyoming may be employed as a peace officer or detention officer;
- Check current drug and alcohol abuse;
- Interview with applicant’s spouse;
- Check personal references;
- Check employment history;
- Check school records;
- Check military records;
- Check DCI and FBI fingerprint files to determine if applicant has a criminal record. (The check shall be made in every state where the applicant has resided);
- Check driving record;
- Check present or last employer reference. (This should include a check with the applicant’s immediate supervisor and peers.);
- Check credit history; and
- Check Wyoming POST files and any other prior certification history.
- The requirements set forth above shall be deemed minimum employment requirements and shall not preclude an employing agency from establishing additional employment requirements.
Age 21 years of age (Be an adult)
Education High School Diploma or G.E.D
Citizenship US Citizen
- Submit FBI Applicant Fingerprint cards
- Be of good moral character determined by complete a background investigation
- Pass medical and psychological evaluation
- Successfully pass an oral interview by the hiring agency
- Submit to the Commission an Initial Employment Form or Re-entry Form
- Successfully complete Basic Training Academy or Mini Basic