Police Officer Requirements – South Dakota
Minimum Requirements to be a Police Officer in South Dakota
- Is a citizen of the United States;
- Is at least 21 years of age at time of appointment;
- Has his fingerprints taken by a qualified law enforcement officer;
- Is of good moral character;
- Is a graduate of an accredited high school or has a high school equivalency certificate acceptable to the commission;
- Is examined by a licensed physician who certifies, on forms prescribed by the commission, that the applicant is able to perform the duties of a law enforcement officer;
- Is interviewed in person by the hiring agency or its designated representative before employment. The interview shall include questions to determine applicant’s general suitability for law enforcement service, appearance, personality, temperament, ability to communicate, and other characteristics reasonably necessary to the performance of the duties of a law enforcement officer;
- Takes the oath of office as required by SDCL 9-14-7 or 3-1-5. The oath may be taken before the nearest available judge of a court of records;
- Has not unlawfully used any prescribed drug, controlled substance, or marijuana within one year before the time of application for certification.
- Is eligible to reapply for certification, if the person has for any reason failed to successfully complete the basic law enforcement training program and;
- Has not had his certification revoked, voluntarily surrendered certification, had an application for certification refused, or been dismissed from the basic training program, unless the commission upon application declares eligible for employment or certification.
- Has not become ineligible for employment or certification as a law enforcement officer in any other state, as a result of any proceedings involving any revocation, suspension, surrender of, or resignation or dismissal from certification, employment or training, unless the commission, upon application, declares the person eligible for employment or certification in South Dakota.