Police Officer Requirements – Rhode Island
Rhode Island Municipal Police Training Academy
MINIMUM APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be at least 21 years of age as of the last date of the Official Application Period announcement
- Must be a High School graduate or possess a General Education Diploma (GED)
- Applicant claiming Veterans preference must present proof of entrance and separation dates (form DD-214) * with the application.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license (a valid Rhode Island license must be presented at the time of appointment as a Police Officer Trainee)
- Undergo the following:
- Physical Agility Examination
- Written Examination
- Medical examination (including drug screening)
- Psychological Exam by certified Psychologist
- Oral Board Interviews
- An extensive background investigation
Other examinations may include: a swim test, drug screen, physical and psychological examinations.
Rhode Island State Police
- An applicant must be a citizen of the United States.
- An applicant must possess a valid operator’s (driver’s) license.
- An applicant must have reached the age of eighteen (18) years in order to be admitted as a candidate to the state police training school. The maximum age of admission to the Training Academy is age thirty-five (35).
- An applicant must be a high school graduate, or have obtained a General Equivalency Diploma (GED) issued by a State Department of Education
- There are no maximum or minimum height requirements.
- An applicant’s weight must be in proportion to his/her height.
- An applicant must possess visual acuity of 20/40 (binocular vision) or better without correction, and visual acuity of 20/20 or better with corrective lenses (glasses or contact lenses).
- An applicant must possess normal color and depth perception as determined by a Division physician.
- An applicant must possess normal hearing ability, as determined by a Division physician.
- An applicant is precluded from having any tattoos or other body art which is visible while in Division uniform or on duty if not in uniform.