Police Officer Requirements – Rhode Island
Minimum Requirements to be a Police Officer in Rhode Island
- Must be at least 21 years of age as of the last date of the Official Application Period announcement
- Must be a High School graduate or possess a General Education Diploma (GED)
- Applicant claiming Veterans preference must present proof of entrance and separation dates (form DD-214) * with the application.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license (a valid Rhode Island license must be presented at the time of appointment as a Police Officer Trainee)
- Undergo the following:
- Physical Agility Examination
- Written Examination
- Medical examination (including drug screening)
- Psychological Exam by certified Psychologist
- Oral Board Interviews
- An extensive background investigation
Other examinations may include: a swim test, drug screen, physical and psychological examinations.