Police Officer Requirements – Nebraska
Nebraska Law Enforcement Training Center
Law Enforcement Certification Standards
Admission requirements are set by statute and rule and regulation. Chapter 8 of Nebraska Crime Commission on Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice rules and regulations contains specific information. You may view these rules and regulations on the Nebraska Secretary of State’s Web Site.
Generally, the admission requirements are as follow:
- Age 21 before completion of the training program
- Citizen of the United States
- High School Diploma or GED
- Hold Nebraska Driver’s license
- Able to read, write, and understand the English language at the eleventh grade level as demonstrated by the Test of Adult Basic Education
- Possess good character as determined by a thorough background investigation to include but not limited to consideration of the following:
- Not convicted or has been pardoned of a crime punishable by imprisonment in a penitentiary for a term of one year or more, including convictions of Class 1 Misdemeanors
- Not been convicted of driving while intoxicated or under the influence in the two years immediately preceding admission
- Has not received a punitive discharge from the United States Armed Forces
- Has not been denied certification status, had certification revoked or currently suspended in this state or another jurisdiction
- Not been convicted of any crime involving the threat or actual use of physical violence that would constitute a Class I misdemeanor in this state.
- Not been convicted of any crime involving the threat of or actual sexual assault or abuse.
- Not convicted of any crime of physical violence or sexual abuse against a child or children.
- Not convicted of a crime of domestic violence as defined in the United States Code, 18 USC 922(g)(9), that would disqualify from possessing a firearm.
- Not subject to an order of protection that would disqualify from possessing a firearm under the provisions of United States Code, USC 922(g)(8)
- Does not have a past indicative of incompetence, or neglect of duty.
- Does not have a past indicative of physical, mental or emotional incapacity.
- Has not been adjudged or convicted of criminal violations with such frequency so as to indicate a disrespect for the law and rights of others.
- Has not been adjudged or convicted of traffic violations with such frequency so as to indicate a disrespect for traffic laws and disregard for the safety of others within the past three years.
- Does not have a pattern of substance abuse.
- Has not used marijuana for any purpose in the two years preceding application
- Not used illegal drugs or narcotics other than marijuana in the five years preceding application
The applicant must be examined by a licensed physician one year or less prior to admission and be certified by the physician to meet the physical requirements. To view the physical requirements, click here for our medical form with instructions, or here for our medical form without instructions.