Police Officer Requirements – Louisiana
Louisiana State Trooper Qualifications:
- Be a United States Citizen.
- Have a minimum of Two (2) years of experience as a Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certified peace officer in a full-time position, whose job duties include armed duty with the power of arrest, (jailer/correctional officer experience does not qualify); or A minimum of sixty (60) semester hours from an accredited college or university, (must provide transcript or degree); or Any two (2) year combination of Options 1 and 2 above, whereby thirty (30) semester hours will be equivalent to one (1) year of experience; or Three (3) years of continuous active military duty in the United States Military, (must provide a DD-214 or letter from current commanding officer verifying service), effective October 1, 2001.
- Be of good moral character.
- Pass a written examination with a competitive score.
- Undergo a physical agility evaluation, including a drug screen.
- Pass an extensive background investigation, including a polygraph examination.
- Pass an oral interview.
- Pass a thorough medical examination.
- Possess a valid Louisiana driver’s license at time of selection.
- Successfully complete the required State Police Training Academy program.
Louisiana State Police Cadet Necessary Special Requirements:
- Must be able to read, write and speak the English language.
- Must possess a high school diploma or equivalency.
- Must be at least eighteen (18) years old at time of application.
- Must possess a valid Louisiana Driver’s License at time of appointment.
- Must pass physical examination, and physical fitness test.
- Must submit to a drug screen and a risk assessment.