University Police Officer
The University Police Officer performs various safety and security work for the campus, enforcing federal, state, and local laws, statutes, and ordinances, and campus rules, regulations, and policies.
- Answers calls for service, engages in preventive routine patrol, arrests, and searches, and assists with warrant services. Manages time and duties without direct supervision.
- Prepares various reports, which includes locating and interviewing witnesses, victims, and suspects, and locating, collecting, and preserving evidence using the proper chain of custody
- Enforces campus rules, regulations, and policies, as well as federal, state, and city laws.
- Provides information and assistance to the campus and surrounding community.
- Investigates hazardous conditions. Determines the appropriate response in order to minimize the danger to life and property.
- Provides field training for new officers, student interns, and supervises interns.
- Secures and transports all daily deposits, including bank deposits of cash and monetary value.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Criminal, constitutional, federal campus, and traffic laws and regulations;
Interrogation and interviewing procedures;
- Campus and city geography;
- Student Right to Know Act/Cleary Act;
- Operation and procedures of fire and burglary alarm systems;
- Residential housing rules.
- Problem resolution and community policing;
- Security computer systems;
- Crowd control at various events;
- Recognizing and reporting a medical emergency;
- Communication, as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc., sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
High school diploma or GED, POST certification with the Missouri Department of Public Safety, and one year of experience in law enforcement or related field;
an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
• POST certification.
• Valid Driver’s License