University Police Officer
Salary: $47,000 annually.
Columbus State University has an opening for a University Police Officer in the University Police Department. This is a participatory commissioned position providing general law enforcement and service related duties for a Board of Regents Institution. Work involves knowledge of federal, state, university and departmental laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures. Must demonstrate the ability to exercise independent judgment and decision making within limits prescribed by laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Patrols assigned area and university facilities.
- Prevents and detects criminal and traffic law violations.
- Provides support services such as locking and unlocking facilities.
- Provides motorist assistance such as vehicle jump starts and vehicle unlocking.
- Arrests violators for violations of criminal and traffic laws.
- Provides assistance to visitors such as giving directions or escorts.
- Reports hazardous situations or conditions of university facilities.
- Appears in court to testify in cases.
- A high school diploma or GED.
- A valid driver’s license.
- No felony convictions or crimes of moral turpitude.
- The selected candidate should possess a Georgia P.O.S.T. certification as a peace officer, or the ability to obtain certification.
- Have knowledge of criminal and traffic laws of Georgia.
- Have the ability to make sounds decisions under pressure.
- Possess strong working knowledge of departmenal policies and procedures (SOP).
- Have a strong command of laws pertaining to search and seizure and investigative techniques.
- Have a proficiency in the use of firearms and related law enforcement equipment.
- They must also be able to obtain advanced training and aducation as needed.