Prince William County Sheriff’s Office is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Deputy Sheriff. Offering great benefits, competitive salary, VRS retirement, paid law enforcement academy training; 40-hour work week; state accredited agency.
GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK:
Performs law enforcement services consisting of civil process responsibilities, prisoner/EDP transport (emotionally disturbed persons), court services/security and fugitive investigations.
Work is performed under regular supervision of a Sheriff’s Sergeant. May be assigned to an evening shift or night shift; or as an instructor.
- Serves grand jury subpoenas.
- Schedules and conducts court ordered evictions.
- Transports prisoners and EDPs to and from confinement locations, hospitals, other jurisdictions and escort them to and from court or hearings.
- Executes, serves and returns, as required, civil and criminal processes, court orders and Division of Motor Vehicles suspension orders.
- Locates, levies, and seizes property and conducts public auctions.
- Conducts residency investigations.
- Conducts investigations on threat to judges, bomb threats and suspicious packages.
- Gathers preliminary information regarding any threats and notifies immediate supervisor.
- Provides security in court rooms and on Judicial Center property.
- Affects arrests, forcibly if necessary.
- Employs defensive tactics, maneuvers or deploys less lethal weapons when necessary and appropriate.
- Conducts searches of buildings with an ability to search small confined spaces or attics when necessary.
- Uses bodily force to gain entrance through barriers to search or seize persons or property.
- Prepares detailed investigative offense reports, issues traffic summons, tow sheets, lab sheets and other administrative paperwork.
- Operates an emergency vehicle during the day and night.
- Loads, unloads, aims and fires handguns, shotguns and other firearms from a variety of body positions.
- Performs searches of persons.
- Performs tasks that may require lifting, carrying or dragging heavy objects such as an injured person.
- Provides back up to primary law enforcement agencies conducting criminal or traffic investigations.
- Appears in court as a witness to give testimony.
- Escorts funeral processions, parades and other special events.
- Provides first aid and other assistance when needed.
- Extradites fugitives that are apprehended in other states.
- Works hours that conflict with regular eight-hour work schedule to include overtime.
- Any combination of education, training and/or experience equivalent to graduation from high school or have passed a General Education Requirement (GED) equivalent.
- Law enforcement certified preferred.
- General knowledge of Sheriff’s Office policies and procedures, federal/state laws and County ordinances.
- Some knowledge of police methods, practices and procedures.
- Some knowledge of emergency equipment, services and restraint equipment.
- Ability to occupy/operate a motor vehicle for long periods while maintaining mental alertness.
- Ability to stand for extended periods with limited breaks.
- Ability to retain and comprehend information received verbally and in writing.
- Ability to adapt to shift/schedule changes and changes in working conditions.
- Ability to prepare clear and detailed reports.
- Ability to maintain composure and demonstrate appropriate restraint in stressful and dangerous situations.
- Ability to escort prisoners and civil detainees with a variety of illnesses/injuries with due regard to surrounding hazards.
- Ability to establish skills and qualify with departmental firearms.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and deal courteously but firmly with the public.
- Must successfully complete a criminal history and background check.
- Must successfully complete an approved law enforcement academy within 12 months of hire.
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Must pass a VCIN/NCIC Criminal History Check.
- May be subject to a pre-employment physical exam or physical fitness test to ensure he/she meets job related physical requirements.
- May be subject to a polygraph examination.