Sheriff’s Deputy Trainee
$76,426.16 – $92,058.69 Annually
We are accepting applications to fill vacancies in All Locations for the Santa Barbara Sheriff’s Office.
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS: This is a trainee-level class and incumbents are expected to successfully complete the Law Enforcement Recruit Academy and receive the recommendation of the Sheriff and promote to Sheriff’s Deputy or be terminated from the position.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL POSSESS:
- A reputation for honesty and trustworthiness
- Integrity/good moral character
- Initiative/drive & energy
- Strong team approach
- Good judgment under pressure
- Effective communication skills
Examples of Duties
- Attends the Basic Peace Officers Academy for instruction on law enforcement procedures combined with rigorous physical fitness training;
- Studies topics such as the care and use of firearms, weaponless defense, first aid, laws of arrest and evidence, law enforcement techniques and procedures;
- Maintains at least the minimum level of proficiency in all areas of training.
Education: Graduation from high school or passing of the G.E.D. test indicating high school graduation level.
License: Possession of a valid California Driver License at time of appointment.
U.S. Citizenship or permanent resident who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship.
Age: At least 20 years old at the time of application and 21 years old at the time of appointment.