The Town of Telluride is hiring a Sergeant.
Under the general direction of the Chief Marshal, the Sergeant is a sworn position in the Marshal’s Department with specific responsibility as a first-line supervisor, providing leadership and direction to Marshal’s Department personnel. This position serves and protects the public by working in partnership with the community through community policing efforts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs sworn police duties in the prevention of crime and enforcement of laws
- Responds to basic police calls and oversees deputies in the proper handling of incidents, criminal and non-criminal
- Responds to serious or unique calls to oversee and instruct deputies in the proper handling of incidents
- Provides daily direction and assistance to deputies
- Assigns, monitors, and evaluates work performed by assigned personnel; participates in the training of assigned personnel
- Supervises and coordinates police operators relating to patrol, traffic, investigations, and special assignments
- Reviews policies and procedures from a risk management standpoint; ensures compliance with CIRSA standards and training requirements
- Ensures compliance with current state laws and court rulings
- May act in the capacity of Chief Marshal in their absence
High School Diploma or equivalent; must possess a valid Colorado Driver’s License with a safe driving record; must be certified as having successfully completed the Colorado Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST); 5-6 years of law enforcement experience as a commissioned officer; 2-4 years of supervising others preferred; maintains CPR and First Aid certifications; or any equivalent training, education, or experience, preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
Knowledge of: state, federal, and local laws, ordinances, and regulations; Marshal’s Department organization, policies, practices, procedures, goals and objectives, rules, regulations, and equipment; effective supervisory and instructional principles and techniques; community-based policing practices; patrol, traffic enforcement, criminal investigation, and related police services.
Skill in: coordinating, training, and supervising employees; analyzing and recommending solutions to law enforcement problems; demonstrating proper use of applicable weapons, proper patrol, and investigative procedures; effective oral and written communication; maintaining composure under stressful situations; interpersonal relationships; public relations.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee works in various indoor and outdoor locations, including on-site work at calls/incidents, in a patrol vehicle, and in the Marshal’s Department. When work is performed outdoors, there is full exposure to the elements.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may perform strenuous physical activity for periods of time; drives a Town vehicle; uses a computer; sits and stands for periods of time; walks and runs on slippery/uneven surfaces; kneels, crouches, twists, reaches, bends and crawls in confined spaces.
- Full-Time Year Round.
- Grade 75
- Salary Range: minimum $82,171- maximum $ 115,039
- Hiring Range: min $82,171 – mid $98,065 DOQ
The Town of Telluride offers a competitive benefits package including health, dental, vision, life, long-term disability, retirement plan with Town match, paid time off, sick leave, comp time, ten (10) paid holidays, and a merchant ski pass to the Telluride Ski Resort!
Email the Employment Application (PDF), cover letter, and resume to Sydney Roop, HR Coordinator.