Recruit Police Officer
Exam Weight: 100% Oral, Qualifying Written and Performance
Tentative Exam Information:
Candidates who have taken the POST Entry Level Law Enforcement Test Battery (PELLETB) examination from another agency within the last 6 months must submit verification of a t-score of 50 or better to their employment application. Written examinations will be administered by the South Bay Regional Public Safety Training Consortium (SBRPSTC). Candidates will need to schedule an examination appointment at http://theacademy.ca.gov to take a written examination at Evergreen Community College. The examination is approximately 2.5 hours. Candidates who have taken the POST physical ability examination within the last 6 months may submit verification of score in lieu of taking the performance examination.
This position is an entry level, non-sworn position in the Police Department. Incumbents in the position are assigned to the Basic Peace Officer Academy and must satisfactorily pass all of the requirements that lead to the possession of the Basic Peace Officer Standards and Training Certificate before becoming candidates for the sworn position of Police Officer. Required to work a basic 5-day workweek. Attendance of classes at odd and unusual hours may be required, as well as working on weekends and designated holidays.
- Upon employment, will be required to attend a POST certified basic academy and participate in and pass all required classes.
- May also be required to ride on patrol as an observer.
- May be required to direct traffic or perform other police-related functions when not attending classes.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Completion of sixty (60) semester units or ninety (90) quarter units of academic level course work at an accredited college or university with no experience required; or
- Completion of thirty (30) semester units or forty-five (45) quarter units of academic level courses at an accredited college or university and two (2) years full-time, paid, recent police experience with a sheriff's department, state police, highway patrol, or municipal police department.
LICENSES AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Possession of an appropriate, valid California driver's license is required.
- Pursuant to Government Code Section 1031, applicants must be a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship.
PHYSICAL AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Must be at least 20 years of age at time of application filing and 21 years of age at time of job appointment;
- Must possess the strength and physical ability necessary to perform the essential functions of the position of Police Officer; and
- Must be willing to be fingerprinted.
- Vision including color, night, depth, and peripheral vision sufficient to perform all of the essential functions of the position of Police Officer;
- Visual acuity of not less than 20/80 vision in each eye uncorrected, and corrected to 20/30 in each eye.
EXCEPTION: Applicants with correction afforded by soft contact lenses are exempt from the minimum uncorrected vision standard of 20/80, provided their corrected vision is 20/30 in each eye.
Hearing, speech, and mental capabilities sufficient to perform all the essential functions of the position of Police Officer.
Candidates are required to pass the following City examinations prior to being given a conditional offer of employment: Oral; physical ability; polygraph; and background investigation.
If given a conditional offer of employment, candidates must also pass medical and psychological examinations prior to appointment.
- Required to work a basic 5-day workweek.
- Attendance of classes at odd and unusual hours may be required, as well as working on weekends and designated holidays.