Public Safety Dispatcher
Salary: $56,932.00 Annually.
- Answers the phone and assists citizens with requests for emergency and non-emergency services for police, fire, sheriff and emergency medical service.
- Directs citizen inquiries and non-emergency calls to the appropriate agency or organization.
- Dispatchers law enforcement and fire and rescue personnel and notifies support and crisis personnel as needed through the use of multi-channel radio system and computer aided dispatch system.
- Requests and disseminates vehicle registration, driver’s license, criminal history information through the use of the Texas/National Computer System (TCIC, NCIC).
- Obtains computer information and disseminates to law enforcement officials and investigators. Enters related information into the system.
- Sends and receive teletype information to and from related agencies.
- Maintains records of work performed.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Ability to work with dispatch equipment and communicate with citizens and emergency personnel in highly stressful, possibly emergency situations.
- Employee communicates with other employees in the workgroup, citizens, and other law enforcement agencies in order to discuss requests for service and possible criminal activities.
- Will also exchange information or request assistance from other agencies and make referrals when necessary.
- Ability to read and understand technical and professional manuals in order to record work activities, keep records or work with computers.
- Skill in the operation and maintenance of several office machines and equipment, such as specialized computers and related information systems and two-way radio dispatch equipment.
- Typing speed of 35 words per minute.
- Employees work rotating shifts and gather, organize, translate, and process information from various emergency callers.