Public Safety Dispatcher
Salary: $39,576 – $70,578 per year.
Closing Date: 01/10/2025.
- The Communications Center provides primary telecommunications and logistical support for daily and emergency operations, law enforcement information gathering and dissemination, wildfire response and maintenance operations; is the 9-1-1 public emergency answering point; and serves as a primary contact for other federal and state agencies. The Center provides full services 24 hours per day, seven days per week, and 365 days per year.
- This position is located in the Emergency Communications Center (ECC) within the Division Visitor and Resource Protection, Headquarters, Blue Ridge Parkway (BLRI) and answers directly to the Communications Center Manager. The ECC provides dispatch services for all public safety functions as well as primary telecommunications and logistical support for the Park’s day-to-day and emergency operations (law enforcement, fire, EMS, search and rescue and maintenance). The ECC maintains on-site access (query and input) to NCIC/NLETS/DCI Law Enforcement Telecommunications systems.
- The incumbent operates computerized dispatch consoles and related equipment in the course of serving as the primary point of contact for law enforcement, emergency medical, fire and search and rescue incidents. The employee must be proficient in the use of CAD, IMARS and a number of state and national public safety computer networks. The incumbent, if certified, may provide pre-arrival instructions using Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD) protocols.
- The incumbent routinely communicates and relays information with local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies around the country to acquire or share law enforcement information. Relays and disseminates information for law enforcement officers, all park division staff, residents, visitors and business contacts.
- Duties will be developmental in nature when filled below the full performance level.
- U.S. Citizenship required.
- Appointment subject to background investigation and favorable adjudication.
- Meet Selective Service Registration Act requirement for males.
- Selectee will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit Electronics Funds Transfer Program.
- Any individual who is currently holding, or has held within the previous 52 weeks, a General Schedule position under non-temporary appointment in the competitive or excepted service, must meet time-in-grade requirements (must have served 52 weeks at the next lower grade or equivalent in the Federal service). Time-in-grade requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement. Time-In-Grade requirements also apply to former Federal civilian employees applying for reinstatement as well as current employees applying for Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA) appointment.
- This announcement may be used to fill additional positions if identical vacancies occur within 90 days of the issue date of the referral certificate.
- You will be required to submit to a drug test and receive a negative drug test result prior to appointment. In addition, this position is subject to random testing for illegal drug use.
- You will be required to operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties; a valid driver’s license is required. You will be required to submit a Motor Vehicle Operator’s License and Driving Record. You must also submit (within a State sealed envelope or submitted directly by the State authorities), and at your own expense, all certified driving records from all States that disclose all valid driver’s licenses, whether current or past, possessed by you.
- You may be required to work on-call, evenings, weekends, holidays, overtime and shift work.
- If you are a new employee or supervisor in the Federal government, you will be required to complete a one-year probationary period.
- You may be required to travel overnight away from. You must obtain a government charge card for travel purposes.
- You may be required to complete training and obtain/maintain a government charge card with travel and/or purchase authority.