Probationary Police Officer
The Polson Police Department is hiring Officers!
Starting salary is $24.09 an hour, lateral officers may start at an increased rate depending on experience.
- Respond to calls for emergency and non-emergency service.
- Become familiar with the people and activity on their shift to be able to recognize suspicious or unusual activities.
- Become familiar with the city to render intelligent and helpful assistance to the public.
- Strive by every means to: protect lives, prevent the destruction of property, prevent the commission of crimes, and preserve peace and order.
- Patrol and inspect with diligence every part of their assigned area: with emphasis on areas of high crime potential, patrol patterns should be random, and extra vigilance should be given to businesses that are closed.
- Be friendly toward children and watchful over their welfare.
- Assist destitute or stranded persons/motorists.
- Enforce traffic laws.
- Assist in traffic control as needed; taking notice and reporting obstructions/hazards and directing traffic as needed.
- Take into custody property that has been lost, stolen, or abandoned and document the incident according to PPD procedures.
- must be a citizen of the United States
- must be at least 18 years of age
- must be fingerprinted and subject to a background check to disclose any criminal records
- may not have been convicted of a crime for which he or she could have been imprisoned in a federal or state penitentiary
- must be of good moral character, as determined by a thorough background investigation
- must be a high school graduate or have passed the general education development test and have been issued an equivalency certificate by the superintendent of public instruction, an appropriate issuing agency, another state, or the federal government
- must meet any additional qualifications established by the Montana Post Council
- be able to pass the Montana Physical Abilities Test (MPAT)