Salary Range: $6,492 – $9,924/Monthly.
Open until filled
The Cal State LA, University Police Department, serves to protect persons and property, provide essential and professional law enforcement services, and promote community-oriented policing. We are dedicated to the safety and protection of all students, faculty, staff, and members of the public who visit the Cal State LA campus. Under the general supervision of the Operations Police Lieutenant, the Police Sergeant is a first-line supervisor responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations and associated personnel who work in a variety of department areas.
- Patrol, investigations, special details, special events, emergency operations, Eagle Patrol, Community Service Program and dispatch;
- Supervisory duties include: carrying out and overseeing general law enforcement / public safety functions;
- Setting goals and objectives for unit personnel;
- Contributing to the fulfillment of objectives;
- Motivating and developing personnel;
- Ensuring that personnel meet performance expectations;
- Providing documentation of performance;
- Implementing strategies that enhance department operations.
- Sergeants are expected to work closely and collaboratively with their peers within the department, to effectively coordinate the day-to-day operations of the various units as well as the department;
- A Police Sergeant must maintain proficiency and exercise the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform basic law enforcement functions as well as directly supervise personnel assigned to his/her work group.
- Three or more years of active law enforcement experience.
- Graduation from a P.O.S.T. academy.
- a valid P.O.S.T. Certificate of Eligibility or a P.O.S.T. Basic Certificate in good standing.
- The incumbent must have effective interpersonal skills to resolve a wide variety of sensitive situations; and oral and written communication skills.
- The incumbent must have the ability to complete/supervise traffic/accident/and criminal investigations.
- Supervise the enforcement of applicable laws and or University Policy Operate law enforcement related equipment including safety/electronic/communications, and data processing equipment.
- Meet physical/mental performance requirements of the position, including the response to and coordination/management of emergency/unusual situation.
- The incumbent must have a demonstrated interest and/or ability to work in a multicultural/multiethnic environment.
- A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the California State University.
- Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University employees who may apply for the position.