San Jose Police Department
The San Jose Police Department is currently looking for highly motivated individuals who are looking for an exciting career in law enforcement. Typically, a Recruit Police applicant is someone who is looking to become a police officer and has not yet entered or graduated from a California police academy. If you are a Police Recruit applicant who successfully completes the hiring process with the San Jose Police Department you will be attending the Police Academy.
Please note that the San Jose Police Department DOES NOT administer the physical agility (WSTB/1.5 mile run) and PELLETB written examination. Applicants are required to complete both of these tests and the remaining minimum requirements BEFORE applying for the position of San Jose Police Recruit.
- Must successfully pass the California P.O.S.T Entry-Level Law Enforcement Test Battery (PELLETB), also known as the P.O.S.T. Reading and Writing Test, with a “T-score” of 50 or higher.
- Must successfully pass the Work Sample Test Battery (WSTB) also known as the physical agility test with a T-score of 320 or higher.
- Must successfully pass the 1.5 mile run.
- Must be at least 20½ years old at the time of application (The mandatory retirement age is 70 years old).
- Must possess a valid United States driver's license.
- Must possess a U.S. high school diploma or general education diploma (GED). Waived, if you have a college degree, from an accredited college within the U.S.
- Must have completed at least 40 semester college units or 60 quarter college units from an accredited college or university. We cannot accept in-progress credits or credits from another police academy to suffice the college requirement.
- Must possess U.S. Citizenship or be a permanent resident alien who has applied for citizenship.
- Must have at least 20/40 vision uncorrected.
- Cannot have any felony, domestic violence, misdemeanor assault convictions or currently be on parole or probation.