11/21/2022 11:59 PM Pacific
The San Jose Police Department is a dynamic, progressive and professional organization dedicated to maintaining community partnerships which promote a high quality of life for the City’s diverse population. The Department is committed to treating all people with dignity, fairness and respect, protecting their rights and providing equal protection under the law.
A Police Recruit is an entry level position and applies to someone who does NOT have police/peace officer or training within the State of California; police officers from other states and federal law enforcement officers who do NOT possess a California P.O.S.T. Academy Certificate; and someone who has graduated from a California P.O.S.T. Academy but has NOT completed a patrol field training program. The San Jose Police Department does not accept the California P.O.S.T. Waiver.
No prior experience or training is required. However, applicants must meet ALL of the minimum qualifications below:
- At least 20-1/2 years old at the time of application / Maximum age is 70 years old (mandatory retirement age)
- Must be a citizen of the United States or have applied for citizenship
- Possession of a valid driver’s license authorizing operation of a motor vehicle in the U.S.
- U.S. high school diploma or other state approved high school diploma equivalency exam; waived if you earned a degree from an accredited college within the U.S.
- *MUST POSSESS AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION* Forty (40) semester or sixty (60) quarter credits from a U.S. accredited college or university. Police academy credits already earned are accepted as part of the education requirement. (Military Veterans with an honorable discharge can substitute four (4) years of active duty service in the U.S. Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines or Coast Guard in lieu of the minimum college credit requirement)