STARTING SALARY: $1,617.38 bi-weekly ($20.21/hr)
Police recruit is a non-exempt entry-level law enforcement officer in the Police Department, who is a
probationary employee in the process of obtaining the necessary skills through training and on-thejob
experience to become a Police Officer.
Applicants must be at least 21 years of age. Must possess or be able to obtain a valid Oklahoma Driver’s
License. Must possess an excellent history of personal conduct, behavior and employment.
CLEET CERTIFIED PREFERRED
ALL APPLICANTS MUST MEET MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS.
The City of McAlester is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
- Operates a motor vehicle for extended periods of time in all environmental conditions and on
occasion operates the vehicle at high speeds and in congested traffic situations.
- Patrols assigned area of City and enforces state and federal laws and City ordinances; patrols and
examines buildings and residence to detect suspicious conditions and handles situations accordingly.
- Directs traffic in congested and emergency areas; Reports safety hazards; responds to scene of
accident, administers first aid, and investigates cause and files accident reports; issues citations to
violators of traffic laws.
- Visits the scene of crimes and accidents; searches for and preserves evidence; investigates and
interviews victims, witnesses and potential suspects; apprehends those suspected of crimes or
misdemeanor; participate in all line ups; makes oral and written reports; and provides testimony in
- Speaks before citizens and citizen’s groups and participates in various training sessions.
- Must be 21 years of age; must be able to qualify on the shooting range. Must be able to pass the
Oklahoma Police Pension and Retirement System’s medical standards and be state certified. • Ability to
operate two-way radio, walkie-talkie in field situations, and to operate effectively radar equipment and
- Ability to read, understand and interpret ordinances, laws and other operating procedures and
communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to investigate crimes and do reports.
- Ability to deal effectively with the public using tact and diplomacy and remain calm in emergency
situations; provide constitutional requirements, and perform first aid and/or CPR.
- Ability to make split second decisions that could affect the well being of the public, department, fellow
employees, as well as the officer’s safety. Ability to interface with other law enforcement personnel and
- Ability and willingness to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Must be able to respond to varying situations with tact and diplomacy and know how to deal with
stressful, hostile, or irrational persons, whether due to physical or mental disability, drugs, socio-
economic differences, or other factors.
- Some exposure to unpleasant weather and requires continuous attention to safe working and
operating procedures to ensure the safety of one’s self and fellow citizens.
- Possibility of body attacks while making an arrest; severe bodily harm while dealing with felons.
- Must posses the physical strength and stamina to chase and subdue fleeing persons; to arrest them if
necessary; and to bring them into custody.
- Great probability of working, rotating shifts, extended hours, emergency call out, and to testify at
court on days off.
- Must have the physical strength and stamina to rescue victims.
- Must have the visual acuity to identify suspects, detect danger, read licenses and tags, etc.
- Must possess the aural acuity to understand conversation in quiet and noisy environments,
understand radio transmissions, distinguish between car backfires and gun shots, and determine
location of persons in distress, etc.
- Must be able to communicate effectively to transmit information via the radio, talk to victims,
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT COMPLIANCE
The City of McAlester is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires the City to provide adequate
accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are
encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with management.