Train as an entry-level recruit for promotion to Police Officer upon police academy graduation. Recruits are required to attend the Police Academy for training in community relations, patrol methods, traffic control, causes of criminality, courtroom procedures, investigating methods, fingerprinting and other crime prevention/law enforcement topics through classroom training and field observation. After successful completion of the police academy, employees are promoted to the position of Police Officer.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform standard police work in the protection of life and property through the enforcement of laws and ordinances, generally consisting of routine patrol, preliminary investigations and traffic regulation duties.
- Patrol and provide security for assigned areas, looking for unusual or suspicious activities or persons; provide scene security and protection for Fire and Medical personnel.
- Patrol the city to respond to citizens’ requests for assistance, enforce traffic regulations, detect crime, apprehend violators, and ensure public safety.
- Maintain vehicle and equipment according to Department standards.
- Enforce local, state and federal laws, and municipal code.
- Respond to emergency and non-emergency calls for service; interrogate and communicate with victims, witnesses and suspects in cases.
- Complete detailed reports and required paperwork.
- Arrest law violators; transport and process suspects, victims and prisoners; serve arrest and search warrants; serve and enforce orders of protection.
- Represent the city and police at court hearings; prepare reports and testify in court cases.
- Investigate crimes and accidents as required; secure and process crime and accident scenes; identify and collect evidence.
Education and Experience:
High School diploma, GED or equivalent
Must be 21 years of age prior to graduation of the police academy; a U.S. Citizen; possess a valid Arizona Driver’s License, and clear criminal record. Ability to type 20 words per minute preferred. Must successfully pass a pre-employment screening, to include a comprehensive background investigation, medical exam, polygraph and psychological exam.