The City of Tustin Police Department is currently seeking applicants for Police Recruit. This is an entry-level position in which new hires will be placed in a local, 6-month POST certified Police Academy paid for by the City. This recruitment is conducted on a continuous basis to meet the needs of the City as vacancies occur and may close at any time.
Successful candidates are appointed in a non-sworn capacity while attending a POST certified Basic Police Academy under the sponsorship of the City of Tustin Police Department. Curriculum includes coursework mandated by the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training and/or the local Police Academy Advisory Committee. After meeting all department, State mandated and academy requirements, including graduation from the Police Academy, incumbents are considered for promotion to the position of sworn Police Officer. Once appointed to a sworn Police Officer position, successful completion of the Department's field training requirements (approximately 6 months) within an 18-month probationary period is required. Sworn officers perform the full range of law enforcement duties.
• Physical: Excellent physical condition. Must be physically capable of performing all tasks required of a Tustin Police Officer as determined by a physical agility test, medical examination and psychological evaluation. Normal hearing and color vision; vision 20/100 in each eye correctable to 20/20; weight proportional to height.
• Citizenship: Must be a United States citizen or a permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for United States citizenship. In accordance with California State law, citizenship status must be conferred within three years of applying for citizenship.
• Background: Must be of good moral character with no convictions for a felony or crimes of moral turpitude and be able to pass a comprehensive background investigation.
• License: At time of appointment, candidate must possess and maintain a valid California driver's license and satisfactory driving record.
• Language: Must have fluent command of the English language in both oral and written form.