A $2,000 sign-on bonus is being offered for all new police officer recruits
Qualifications and Requirements
Applicants who live outside the city are now eligible for hire to enter the Academy and will have one (1) year and six (6) months from their hire date to move into the city of Philadelphia.
Equivalent to a High School Diploma.
All applicants must be at least 20 years-old on the date of appointment.
Physical Fitness Test & Requirements
INSTRUCTIONS AVAILABLE IN BELOW LINKS
The physical fitness test confirms that prospective police recruits are performing physically (based on their age and gender) at the 30th percentile. The test includes the 300-meter run, pushups (within 1 minute), sit-ups (within 1 minute) and the 1.5-mile run. Read the latest physical fitness requirements as mandated by the Municipal Police Officers’ Education and Training Commission and instructions on how to prepare for pushups. The Department has also prepared some basic guidelines on how to prepare for the physical fitness requirements.
- Standards and times are subject to change and police recruits who are accepted in the Police Academy must perform based on their age and gender at the 30th percentile.
Reading Ability Test
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania also requires that all police recruits be able to read at no less than the ninth-grade level as established through the administration of the Nelson-Denny Reading Test.
YOU MUST PASS A WRITTEN EXAMINATION (IF REQUIRED).
- Minimum age 20 years of age on date of appointment.
- Establishment of residency will be required of each non-resident hired no later than 1 year and 6 months after appointment.
- You must have a valid driver’s license prior to being hired.
- You must be a US Citizen at the time of appointment.
- You must pass an extensive background investigation.
- You must pass a medical examination and drug screening.
- You must pass a polygraph exam.
- You must pass a psychological evaluation.
- You must be willing to work rotating shifts, carry firearms and work in dangerous situations.