Salary: $28.69/hour – $37.00/hour.
The position of Patrol Officer is a non-supervisory line position reporting to a Sergeant. The Patrol Officer can be a union member, but must be in the bargaining unit with other Patrol Officers and Supervisors. The Patrol Officer
shall work a standard workweek subject to overtime hours and pay. The Patrol Officer shall be the officer assigned to complete most general patrol functions as well as traffic and criminal law enforcement.
- Generally conducts criminal investigations when necessary.
- Generally conducts patrol investigations when necessary.
- Responds to complaints and calls for assistance.
- Performs security checks of private and public property.
- Patrol roads and streets on foot or with police vehicles promoting traffic safety through compliance.
- Follows up on arrests and summons with court when necessary, including district court, superior court, and Department of Motor Vehicle hearings.
- Acts as a Senior Officer in a supervising capacity when no higher ranking officer is available.
- Enforces parking and traffic regulations.
- Conducts traffic accident investigations.
- Directs traffic when necessary.
- Provides information to the general public when requested.
- Completes all the necessary paperwork as determined by a superior.
- Have passed the Maine Criminal Justice Academy’s (MCJA) ALERT test, as well as their Law Enforcement Pre-service Training Program, or be eligible to receive a waiver from MCJA;
- Be a minimum age of 21 years old (or 20 years old with at least 60 college credit hours);
- Have a minimum of two (2) years of college (with at least 60 credit hours), and preferably hold an Associate’s degree in Criminal Justice or a related field. Consideration may be given to applicants who have a high school education and at least two (2) years of full-time or reserve police officer experience;
- Possess a valid driver’s license;
- Pass a thorough background and financial check, polygraph exam, and psychological test;
- Be in good physical condition/health;
- Pass a physical agility assessment test based on the MCJA physical agility pre-entrance test.