Police Officer (Uncertified & Certified)
$47,179 (Uncertified); $50,895 (Certified)
Under the general supervision of a Police Sergeant (Uniform Division) and on one of two assigned shifts, performs general law enforcement duties in efforts to provide protection of life and property, enforcement of federal, state and local laws, response to emergency situations and investigation of criminal activity to secure the well-being of the citizens of the City of Smyrna.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
• Patrols streets, industrial parks, businesses, and residential areas within an assigned zone in the City to thwart potential criminal activity.
• Enforces City ordinances, state and federal statutes, and other regulations for which the Police Department is responsible; enforces the traffic code of Georgia, issues citations, and/or makes arrests as appropriate.
• Answers calls for service in a timely, professional, appropriate manner; provides immediate response in emergency situations; uses proper judgment in neutralizing situations.
• Conducts accident investigations and provides preliminary first aid as needed.
• Prepares detailed reports regarding calls for service received while on duty.
• Transports prisoners to jail facility.
• Initiates criminal investigations and calls for detectives when needed.
• May be called upon to work special assignments as needed.
• Performs related work as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS OF POSITION
• High school diploma or its recognized equivalent.
• Must be at least 21 years of age at time of employment.
• Must possess a valid Georgia Driver’s License.
• Must be a citizen of the United States.
• Must pass physical agility test, an extensive background investigation, post-offer psychological, medical, and drug screen.
• For Uncertified Candidates Only: Must be able to show proof of acceptable ASSET, COMPASS, SAT, ACT or POST Entrance test scores for Georgia Peace Officer’s Standards and Training Council (POST) Academy Entrance. AND Must be able to qualify for and obtain POST Certification within one year of employment and acquire additional training as required.
• For Certified Candidates Only: Must possess a current Georgia Peace Officer’s Standards and Training Council (P.O.S.T.) Certification(s) AND have at least 2 years of consecutive service as a sworn officer with a Georgia Law Enforcement Agency. A Law Enforcement Agency is described as having no less than 25 sworn officers.
• See Official Code of Georgia Annotated (OCGA 35-8-8) for additional requirements.